Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Bad back day yesterday and today. Really bad, to the point where people in the office are noticing the grimaces on my face as I try to walk down the hallway. Does anyone notice if there back pain is connected to the weather in anyway? I don't think mine is but I am just curious. If my decision for surgery is based on how I feel yesterday and today then I would be on the operating table as soon as possible. Like everyone out there I am just scared. But 3 Dr.'s have said surgery. My family is telling me they think it is time for surgery. Here is how the pain affects my life:

Rising from sitting is the worst, coughing and sneezing is painful, sometimes even laughing or taking a deep breath and even holding my abs in hurts, going over the bumps in the road can hurt at times, hard time backing out of the drive way, can’t run or jump comfortably, I walk funny when I first stand up, can’t put my head down without pain, can’t twist without pain, hurts to reach for things, can’t stand or walk for more than 30 minutes without getting a backache or bad nerve pain and I most definitely cannot do anything the requires me to be bent over for a period of time (giving dog a bath, washing bath tub, or even just picking stuff up off the floor). Sometime IB helps but I know I can’t live my life on IB.

I know you all can't make the decision for me but do you think my quality of life is diminished enough for surgery?

I am so frustrated right now and with the pain on top of that I have been holding back tears all morning.

• I can see people actively trying to avoid me as a stagger down the street - apparently I pull some really evil faces & they probably think I am derranged!! Which I am of course LOL ROFLOL !! Cold weather does affect me to a degree, likewise heading off to the sunshine can really make me feel so much better. When things are bad I can't walk for more than a 100 metres without a stick & considerable pain and like you almost everything else will put me through the roof, laughing is one of the worst for me which is a shame as I have a wicked sense of humour normally!! Close friends will never critise you & any one else at work can go hang! Stick in there, you will know when you are ready to go under the knife but it is a fine line between that & holding out too long & causing more damage!! Big Hugg. DB
  • Be sure to get the best surgeon you possibly can. Sounds like you are a candidate. And yes, weather does matter--it mattered before and after. And "time of month" for women makes a big difference, too.
  • Dorset boy - that is hilarious, I think I do the same thing.

When I think of the future I really lean towards having the surgery. I don't have any kids yets and I want them, and like someone had posted in another thread - I am only 29 and when I think of living with this pain til I am 70 or 80 I do not look forward to the future.

I am so anxious for my Dr. appointment on Friday.
  • I totally understand your frustration because I've been there myself. As far as the decision to undergo surgery, it depends on how much more you can take and how badly your quality of life has suffered. And of course if the problem is severe and it is causing neurological deficits, paralysis, and loss of bladder/bowel control. I was sick and tired of the pain when I first decided to have surgery. I wanted the problem fixed once and for all so I could get my life back.
  • to list everything you want to ask him/her, it's sods law that as soon as you get in there you'll forget everything!!. see what they say & talk to family & friends. I was nervous about my last surgery but I was ready for it -infact from being told I needed it to actualy having it done was an 18 month wait. I was 35 when i first injured my back & I turn 40 (oh yes the big 40!! damn my life is over 40!!) later this year. I am naughty by nature, always got to sneek out of hospital for one last smoke before incarsaration etc. Infact I drove myself 30 miles to the hospital when I have my operation - the reason being was that if I lost my nerve the car was in the car park & I could make a run for it! LOL even the surgeon found that one funnny! - shame two friends had a 60 mile round trip to pick up my car LOL i felt better for it though!! Keeping positive is never easy, the future can look bleak at times but there is a very good chance you could end up pain free at the end of it. I never look too far in advance, step by step !! however graceless they may look !! Take care & let us know how your going. Ian
  • I know where you are and can relate to the situation that you are in. When I had my surgery, I was leaning towards it too. I was at the point that I had given up trying conservative treatments and frustrated to tears by the pain.

Find the best surgeon as noted above. While I ended up getting microdiscectomy, I still experience pain. Fortunately, the pain is not as severe as before.
  • OH you got that right, the grimaces, the ugly stick and uglier snear. The comments "Why don't you do something about that" and so on. ~X( Good weather, bad weather, no matter wether or not. 8}
    I wish I COULD laugh, but the only smiles from me recently have been these 'Smiley' :) faces.
    Since starting to read these forums, my biggest remaining fear is that I have waited too long. :W
  • I have so far have 2 full pages worth of questions, typed, that I plan on bringing with me on Friday. It keeps getting longer everyday as I read more on surgery, my specific conditions, and posts on this site. Any tips on how to research the surgeon? I have googled him and found a couple of patient reveiws but how do you find out if they have malpractice suits against them? Anyone have any good websites for this? In the mean time I am going to have friend that is a surgeon in the area ask around to see if he can find anything out.
  • The best thing you can do as far as researching surgeons is meet them, and decide for yourself whether you trust them or not.

My orthopedic surgeon had an excellent reputation (word of mouth), and I hated him. I didn't feel like he cared one bit what was happening to me, he never had time to answer questions, and half the time didn't even know why I was there to see him. Thankfully he doesn't perform back surgery so when he decided that he couldn't do anything else, he sent me to a neurosurgeon.

No less than 20 different people over the course of a month or so recommended a neurosurgeon to me and my husband. I was wary of word of mouth recommendations given my experience with the "wonderful" ortho, but I decided to give him a try.

I liked and trusted him immediately. He answered all my questions (and my husband's too) and took the time to show me the MRI and xrays and go through the results with me. He gave me several different options, so I knew that he was interested in what I wanted and what I was comfortable with and didn't just want to slice me open.

When my pain came back 3 weeks after the microdiscectomy, he didn't dismiss me. He takes me seriously and believes what I say. He ordered another MRI and when that came back fine, he ordered a repeat MRI just to make sure they didn't miss something.

While you are evaluating your surgeon, think about the actual surgery, but also your post-op care. Your relationship with your surgeon doesn't end when he closes you up. You need to be comfortable with the idea of him/her performing the surgery and sticking by you afterwards when you have more questions and if you have problems. If you aren't comfortable with this one, get a 2nd or 3rd or 4th opinion until you find one that you are comfortable with.

Good luck, I hope everything goes well for you!
  • when you met up with your surgeon last friday, did you get a chance to ask all your questions & did you feel better once it was all over - let us know