Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain and Depression; Depression and Pain

MingMMing Posts: 1,127
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Depression and Coping
I had an appt yesterday to discuss my back problems and my depression for SSDI. I have something I would like to share with you all that I was told. I felt a sense of validation hearing this from a medical professional.

I was describing how I've battled with depression most of my life but had it pretty much under control with therapy and medications. I then went on to describe how I'm having a difficult time since I've been dealing with constant, severe chronic pain. He then said to me that being depressed when you have chronic pain is common, he said if I wasn't feeling some sort of depression in my case then he would worry cuz it's unusual not to feel down and depressed at some point while dealing with chronic pain.

I already knew this but hearing it for the first time from the mouth of a medical professional made me feel a sense of comfort or that I wasn't crazy.

• A doctor that can put two & two together, a rare breed me thinks !! LOL. I get the odd bad day & feel it is self pity, but your right depression has to go hand in hand with a chronic ilness or pain. It takes alot to keep going & a strong & brave person to do it!! Take Care DB
  • The way I've heard it is that chronic pain causes depression, and not the other way around, and the two go hand in glove. That is why we're offered antidepressants to (sorry animal lovers) kill two birds with one stone- it helps with pain and elevates our mood. I don't know who came up with that saying, but I do have a parrot and I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate it ;) Cymbalta was worked wonders for me in the sadness & despair dept. It takes like 3-4 weeks to get used to it, and the side effect I had was insomnia. Well, stupid me took it in the evening so there you go. After switching to mornings, the insomnia stopped 8} Duh! Anyway, I hope this helps you out. PM if you need anything, Take care
  • I too take cymbalta and it seems to be the one antidepressant to help the most. I also take mine in the morning. Seems to work better for me that way. Thanks for all the great responses.
  • That's true depression follows chronic pain. It's interesting how cymbalta and amitriptyline are also nerve pain meds as well as antidepressants. I take amitriptyline and wellbutrin. I had to start an antidepressant after realizing this pain is just not going away and I can't work. I also think it's normal to take meds in this situation as our independence is somewhat taken away. I hope the bone growth stimulator gets you fused and get back to some enjoyment with your children. I wish you all the best with your healing. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am glad that you found that out. Pain and depression go hand in hand. When you have pain, you feel bad and can't do anything and that makes you feel frustrated and down. It is a vicious cycle. Hang in there. I love to read your words of encouragement to others. You are a special person