Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm freaking out! Please, anyone, help!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I've posted recently and I've had no responses. I've been having bad back pain(especially at night--I wake up at least 8-10 times a night). I had discectomy surgery 6 weeks ago. At the 4 week point I thought I was free and clear. For once I felt positive and happy. And I looked forward to the future. Then BAM! My back felt like it went out when I leaned to the side--a VERY slight lean. Since then my back has been bothering me and the sciatic pain has been rearing its ugly head again. BUT, when I get out of bed the pain decreases right away and I'm fully ambulatory. But that initial feeling of something going wrong with my back has brought back the mental demons. I just spent $12,000 to go to India to get the surgery done (in Alberta Canada the waiting list is between 2-4 years). The remainder of my savings to support myself are rapidly nearing an end. I need to get back to work. I'm afraid to because of my recent pain. The thought of a life of continuous pain scares the hell out of me. Please, if anyone who's had discectomy surgery(and post-op complications) can respond you'd help me greatly. I'm going to pay for a follow up MRI in the next two weeks. It'll cost me $750.00 (which I can hardly afford), but I need peace of mind. The waiting time for an MRI in Alberta is 6 to 8 months. Our health care in Canada SUCKS!!! Please, somebody...help.

• I'm sorry you're in so much pain and I think you should call your surgeon ASAP. It is not normal to be in that amount of pain, and any time you have it spike up like that post op you need to nofify the doctor or go to the emergency room.
  • I am sorry to hear of your complications, but agree with meydey, the only one that can tell you what to expect is your surgeon. They are the ones that need to kmow what is up and what kind of problems you are having. I would ask them before I spent money on MRI unless they want you to. I understand you are from Canada. Why did you go to India for surgery? wasnt there somewhere closer that could do it?
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    its very difficult to help you, we can only provide some advice based on our own personal experiences.
    I would definitely spend time discussing all of this with your doctor.
    Before you go ahead an start paying for additional tests and ,I would want to make sure that you have everything in order.
    You want to be 100% sure that what you are planning to spend are the right things for you medically.
    I almost have to assume that you knew of the surgeon or facility in India. That was a long way to travel for surgery.
    And as you have described, you are having problems.. Who do you turn to? Will the surgeon in India be willing to help you out?

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I don't know if $12K was travel or entire expense. My Pre-Op statement for my cost in South Carolina USA is $160K but only wait was for me to get loose ends together. My surgery is Monday and I saw my surgeon for first time was 12 March and he was ready to do surgery this week if I was. He was pretty pushy X( about not putting it off any longer because of possible permanent nerve damage. Coincidently, my surgeon was born, raised, and interned in Saskatchewan (sp) Canada. :B
  • Craig, after reading that you were just 4 weeks post op from disectomy...and now are having such pain...let's hope its just a small bump inthe road for you

I understand you traveling to India for surgery..as the wait times in Canada are extremely long, but how is any other surgeon going to react to any follow up..is my concern for you.

Here in Michigan MRI's are about the same cost(for non-insured) as you mentioned..but the wait time you are geting there isn't going to help you much...Perhaps you could find a MRI in the US that would be about the same cost...but quicker.

Im sorry you are in a bad way...will send positive thoughts to you, and hope that you get better asap!
  • I'm not a doctor, but maybe you could wait it out some. I had a fusion which is heavier surgery than a discetomy. I had nerve pain throughout the two months of recovery if I leaned over too far. It could be that you've pulled the healing tissue that got things fired up. The sciatic pain could mean something worse. Did you have contact info for your surgeon if something were to come up during your recovery? You need to somehow contact them in India and tell them your symptoms. An MRI may not show anything new, or it may show that you've completely herniated the disc. Hard to say. Good luck and we all want to help, but you're problems are hard to give good advice on.

Like I said, I had small things fire up on me after surgery just due to the healing process. If it is worse from moving around, don't do that much for a few days and see if it lets off some.
  • More than anything, it's nice not to feel alone. If you're like me, pain makes you isolate, and that's an ugly place to be--trapped in your own thoughts. I spoke to my surgeon in Chennai India (Dr. EDITED--google him if you like) after I made my post. He calmed me down. He told me to continue on with Lyrica(pain meds--75 mg 2x daily).As my pain isn't near where it was pre-op, he opined that I would be o.k., but to TAKE IT EASY. He also told me that an MRI at this point could prove to be inconclusive (or hard to read). That is to say, it may be tough to differentiate between scar tissue and a re-herniated disc. Let me be clear, I trust my surgeon, Dr. EDITED, I just don't trust my body. I researched Dr. EDITED when I came across a sight--EDITED.com, and watched EDITED testimonial. I travelled half way across the world because I trusted the proof of this surgeons experience. In fact, if it were affordable, and the flight time wasn't over 28 hours at best, I'd see him again. He truly is a great doctor, and I don't regret having the surgery for a second. My fear is, well, you know... the whole worst case scenario thing . A life of pain. I don't think my pain warrants the amount of absolute fear I'm in, but beyond chronic back problems I'm also a chronic worrier. BUT, I don't worry unless my body tells me something isn't right. I've been reminded that somethings wrong every day for the last 2 weeks. I see my Doctor in Edmonton tomorrow, and yes, I AM going to get another MRI...I need to know.

Again, I just want to say a huge thank you to all of you who responded. You took time out of your day day to help someone in need. That holds water. Thank you so much, and I'll keep all of you posted if you're interested. Seeing as I'm paying for the MRI, I'll have the results within 2 weeks.

Stay healthy and strong,

Doctors name and contact details removed by forum Moderator (paulgla). We do not permit publishing specific doctor's or institution names and contact details.