Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 weeks post op.. What can I take OTC?

Nicole74NNicole74 Posts: 123
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Pain Medications
I'm 3 weeks post op and wondering what I can take over the counter besides tylenol.

I'm in a lot of pain and the surgeon is not helping with pain management. I've made several calls to the surgeons office and they say that my pain is normal for post op pain and I need to deal with it. He gave me a medrol pack and said to call back in a week or two if it's not helping. It's not helping, I have the same horrible nerve pain as I did pre surgery.

I can't handle this pain as it is unbearable at times. I let them know how bad the pain is and I have new numbness and pain in my arm and hand.

Is there hope for me? Can I at least take aleve or asprin? I'm getting very little to no sleep and I'm rotating heat and ice 24 hours a day.

• My old symptoms have not been resolved. The surgeons office says it could take several weeks or months before I have any relief.
  • I am not a fusion patient.I have read that NSAID's are not to be taken by fusion patients.NSAID's include Ibuprofen(Advil) and Naproxen(Aleve) OTC.You can take up to 4000mg/day Tylenol.
    But I am not sure it'd help with nerve pain.Have you seen a PM doctor?Hope it gets better soon.

• PM doc won't see me until the surgeon is done treating me. I called them yesterday. I guess I will have to call the surgeon's office again. I'll wait until tomorrow. I'm getting very little to no sleep again.
  • Sorry you are in so much pain, please call your surgeon all day long. You can't heal well, if you are in that much pain. After my surgery, no OTC was strong enough. I don't think you can take nsaid after fusion surgery. Can you ask your surgeon for muscle relaxant?

• ask for some stronger pain relief ..they can not deny you pain relief after and operation {and if you are in terrible pain at any time!} its against what doctors are about and if you come up against objections see another doctor.. as for over the counter forget it nothing will touch you type of pain be careful not to exceed the 4grams of paracetamol in any 24 hour period {that's 8 500mg of paracetamol} your pain killers are 30mg or codeine and 500mg of paracetamol}
    taking too many paracetamol will prove fatal!!!!!!..and its not a very strong pain killer ..i would suggest maybe a small amount of oxycontin .good luck
  • If your pain is unbearable please go to Urgent care or ER at that hospital where you had it done. they will contact the Surgeon perhaps to let him know you were there and in pain. Or call the Surgeon's office on call and tell them you're going to ER because the pain is so bad you can't walk, sleep or anything. I hope you get some pain relief maybe from the steroids soon. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • After several calls they finally gave me a script for vicodin. It doesn't work that well, but it's better then nothing. They told me that it's normal to have nerve pain post op and it will be at least a couple of months before the pain would let up. I don't understand why they would put people through all that pain. I did mention several times the pain is unbearable. The steroids did not help one bit. I'm going in for a MRI this week due to the pain in my arm. I do take a muscle relaxer for the muscle spasms.
  • should be on lyrica or gabapentin or something similar this should help with nerve pain .a narcotic would help with the back pain .any doctor worth his white coat !!! would not leave you in pain ..its immoral
  • Gabapentin or lyrica is for low back nerve pain.

I cannot believe your doctor did not advise you that this pain would be a result of your surgery for months. This borders on insane. OTC meds won't touch this. Going to the ER as suggested above is your best bet.
  • That is awful, what you are having to go through its ridiculous. I can tell you from my experience that norco or vico never did nothing for my nerve pain. The neurontin I take helps with nerve pain and i take ultram everyday. and still have norco prn for pain pain....
    I really believe in the way that sleep works.. and if we have bad sleep we don't heal good and we hurt more. and when we hurt more we don't heal.....just my thoughts
    I hope things get better Nicole... sending you a hug.Patsy