Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Surgery Complications.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
On the day that I went to have my staples removed, I had told the doctor that I was having a ton of pain around the staple area on my front. He assured me that what I was feeling was normal post op pain. Less than a week later, I sprung a leak, an understatement, from the area. Long story short, a large amount of fluid had built up in a pocket along the incesion. The general surgen reopened me, in his office, about three inches long and two and a half inches deep. That was over two months ago. Since then, I have daily packings done by a visiting nurse. We tried a wound vac, and that was the most painful thing that I have ever seen. Two weeks ago, I noticed a small hole in the side of this wound. It looked to be healed over and the doctor checked it and said that it appeared ok. Now in the mean time I had started PT and my pain level increased alot. I thought that being more physical was the cause of this. NOT!
I made an emergency visit with the general surgen and low
and behold, there was another pocket. This one runs side to side about two inches deep. Had blood work done, have a CT
scan tonight. The thought is another pocket of fluid or
diverticultis. I guess the moral of this story is
if something doesn't feel right, don't listen to anyone but
yourself and pay attention to what your body is telling you.

• Ugh, That sounds horrible!

Good advice though.

Best of luck
  • I hope they find out what it is! I didn't have a 360 but just a PLIF L3-4, L4-5. I too got an infection at the surgical site and mine was underlying also. My hubby changed my dressing as prescribed and noticed no red or pink areas around my incision other than typical. When I saw my surgeon for 1st time after fusion she touched around the area, of course I have no feeling there and still don't, but anyway she pressed lightly and pop....pus shot out!!! Right then and there she cut the sutures and "debrided" both incisions, luckily I couldn't feel anything. I had to put on antibiotics for almost a month to help with healing. I found out months later that everyone who had surgery in that "theater" on that day got some kind of staph infection, of course it was only me and another person as my surgery lasted 9 hours due to complications with guide wire moving into artery of kidney.

I hope you heal fast and with less pain, God Bless.
  • With my ALIF surgery, I was leaning up against the kitchen counter rinsing out a glass and I felt this wetness down my clothes and I look down and it's all pinkish with a huge spot. I thought I was going hemorrage or something. I had three small holes that opened up between the stitches after I had my staples out, and they continued to ooze. Luckily they finally healed up and the fluid stayed clear and didn't smell. I was so worried. I'd had an infection with a Csection in 93 and I remembered how bad the cleanings and wound packing and all of that daily that I had to have done. I feel for you and hope it heals up now.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,874
    some patients having allergic reactions to those staples.
    Started with a low grade infection and had it checked quickly so it didnt advance. It was after a couple of doctors got together, started some research did they find the problem.
    I dont know what the actual reaction was, I just know that most surgical staples are made from high quality stainless steel.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com