Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

multilevel fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have been fused L2-L5 and now L1-L2 is protruding 7mm and causing much pain. I also have some protruding at L5-S1. I've had 2 epidurals with little relief so my Dr. is proposing fusing from L5-T10 for stabilization. What's your thought on this? Has anyone had this done?

• I had a 4 level PLIF.

Sounds like yours is a 7 level....that's rare.

What's the Dr going to do with the protruding at L5-S1?

• He is thinking about including that in the fusion. It's done to stabilize the spine so I don't keep needing another fusion every 3-4 years. Very scarey.
  • Well...I am better than before the operation.

I still have pain mostly the rt hip...which maybe the hip itself. Just had an MRI of the back and I see the Dr 4/1/2009.

The 4 level fusion was life changing for me. Once accepted life is ok. How long I can sit, stand, walk, drive, sleep has changed. I most keep changing position to keep pain and stiffness from setting in. I can not lift more than 30 lbs. How I put on socks and pick things from the floor all different.

I am 15 months post op. Just had an xray and mri. The hardware is still in place. The Dr was pleased that I have big hard bones. He was able to use the biggest screws.

Good luck to you.

• Yep. Take a look at my xray. I had all t-levels done in 1977 and all lumbar you see four months ago.
    And the recovery is a bitch, I had a complication of a stress fracture post-surgery--but I'm doing special exercises and a lot of mobility is coming back, believe it or not. But it is taking a lot of effort and concentration to learn to walk with my new adjusted spine/hips and dealing with recovery. Too soon to know if it was a real success, but we'll see.
    I will be able to touch my toes, even with all this, as I am very flexible in hips and hamstrings--something I have always worked on maintaining.