Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Synovial Cyst in L4/L5

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I just found out last week that I have a synovial cyst of the L4/L5 with herniation and I have endured tremendous pain for over two months. My doctor recommended a orthopedic doctor and I have an appointment. I do not want steroid injections at all. I am a nurse and I know what they can do to you. Has anyone else had this happen? I was a racewalker for years and now I can't do anything. I am only 43 and wondering if I have to feel like this forever. I also have had rheumatoid arthritis all my life but I never felt the need to see anyone for treatment. When I would get pain, I would take some OTC NSAIDS.

• Hi Bhllal: PM me if you need to (see my "signature" below)

Synovials can hurt like &@^%&^!

Do you know if yours is encapsulated? Or invasive, like mine was? Mine grew out of the L4/5 facet joint & went nuts...

Sometimes they rupture & the pain is temporarily releived...depends on what caused them. I had facet joint hyperflexibility + arthritis. Bad combo, almost guarantees a synovial will happen. L4/5 is the most common "spot" as there is a lot of movement in that area. And yes, they can come back at other levels....

Again, feel free to contact me!

• It was clear in the MRI that was a cyst that was behind the lamina on my L5/S1. Radiologist reported too. I had TLIF, and so the doc went in on the left, he took out the broken facet joint and examined the area, then said the cyst disappeared. No one knew for sure what has happened to it. From then on there was no more cyst present in any of the MRIs or CTs.
  • I too have a synovial cyst on the facet joint of C4 and have two discs that are bad . I just got my second steroid shot...( what a joke) the last one lasted 3 days! I talked to my neurosurgeon and he wanted me to get this second one. My cyst is as hard as a rock and is 6x4 mm . I have had pain since last October . This is a living hell! My surgeon wants me to call him if and when I start getting the pain back , he says this will be a big surgery so he wanted me to be sure. I pray for anyone with this type of pain. God Bless.