Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

juleofbcjjuleofbc Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Chronic Pain
I have been on this sight a few times.I usually get the answers I need. As most of you know, getting a response from your dr can be a real pain in it's self.This is actually a 2 part question.
I have DDD and Spondylosis,Severe arthitus in my hips and pelvis.Well here is the question.My lumbar back keeps swelling up,I have always had a "raised" area there but, lately it has been sweeling real bad.It feel like when I lay on my side, that my left and right side are meeting in the middle.You can feel them touching!I can't seem to lean on a chair or lay on my back.And to help that along. My Tailbone is about to put me in a looney bin, It actually feels like it is burning,besides the pain.I am on heavy pain meds and can't believe I still have this much pain,100 duragesic,10/660vicodin and 4 zanaflex,naubetone,and gabitrin.Can any one give me some sort of answer? Second part.Swelling all of a sudden in my legs,mid thigh to mid calf.It hurts, and feels like the skin is folding , but it isn't that swollen.I went to a orthopedic dr today because the MRI showed Chondromalacia Patellae,so went to see what could be done, He said The knees are fine and it was "Deferred Pain" from the back.Ok so what the hell brought it on there? And in the back. Help.I have chronic pain,no life, stopped working2 years ago.My thrill for the day is doing dishes,lay down,run vacum,lay down.make bed,lay down.I am sure you know what I mean. Thanks all my fellow suffers :)

• I have burning in my tailbone at times too but I bought a gel cushion for the coccyx pain and it seems to help. Are you going to a Pain Management Dr? Have you had an MRI? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi
    Hope you are feeling ok this evening.I have had about 10 mri's,a discogram,mylogram.all sorts of crap.I to have an annulear tear.along with the rest,4 surgeons said not a canidate for surgery,to many disc's involved.they did consider taking out 4 dics and replaing with 4 cages, but there was only a 50 % chance.and as the surgeon in phili said barbaric.(take out your innerds,replace,flip you over and repeat.I debated and chickened out.3 of the surgeons said to only do 1 epi shot and if it didn't work don't have another.I have had a crap back for over 20 yrs,after I went for the 1 shot, that is when my back stpped being my friendly buddy. I used to know what to do to calm it down, know all I do is take another pill or 2 and pray it eases up.
    I have a 2 types os coccyx pillows,one flat with the 'V" out and the round one. So times it helps some times it doesn't. I sit and sleep on my side.It is a real problem when the bursitus decides to come for a visit.
    Well I hope you feel better and get some relief, the damnest things work.I am actuallt thinking of putting my air mattressin the living room,We have the one that turns into a couch,and if I get my spine where the fold is I can lay on my back yippie =))
  • Hi, Julie. I, too, have the raised area in my back around L4/L5, though it has been much better in the past couple of months. I suffer from tailbone pain off and on, as well as knee and shoulder/arm problems. I have had three surgeries on my left knee in the past, and was supposed to go for a lateral release a couple of years ago; every PT I've seen and/or asked an opinion of has told me that I should NOT have the surgery because most of my pain is referred from my low back. I know when my back is really bad, my IT band tightens up, and I believe that is what puts my knee out of whack.

Do you do any stretching at all? I stretch every day, and it has definitely brought about some improvement; lots of mobility stuff for my back and hips, especially. I've been on a million different drugs for pain and none of them made a big difference until I started on Flurbiprofen (an anti-inflammatory) and Methotrexate (for specific types of arthritis; also used as an anti-inflammatory). I am still playing with dosages on both of them.

Sorry to hear you're having such a miserable time. Has anybody ever considered nerve blocks or rhizotomies (radiofrequency ablation) for you, or is either treatment an option?

• I too have degenerative disc disease and spondylosis. In addition to that there are 100 more, give me a minute. I also have Gout(this was a while ago, some months but the damage is done, another test will assure of its current presence.)-Arthritis, Narrowing of the disc spacing(spine), Scoliosis, there are also discs impinging on the dural sac-spines protective surrounding, Herniated & Bulged discs, Posterior & Anterior osteophytes-spine, Tendinosis, Degenerative subchondral cysts, Levoscoliosis, Retrocalcaneal bursitis, severe subluxation of the l & r temoromandibular joints(jaw), joint-tendon&ligament problems. Constantly turn over ankles and fall. Move hand and somethig pops inside forearm-2 months later still swollen-need mri. I will not BORE you with the rest of my stuff, lets get to yours. I read your story and can understand your problems. A good doctor is hard to come by. Understand that you are not alone & that all across the net there are thousands with the same. Your arthritis certainly sounds just like you said (chronic). The surgical options you talked about are none brighter. You talked about taking another pill and resting and see if that helps. At times this is all you can do. The medications you described-although you think they are overkill, again look at oyher stories accross the web & you will see that this is commonplace. I have read story after story that some of these so called strong opiate medications did not help in the least. If your combination is not working for you, go back to your Doctor and make adjustments. There are many different types and I have read that the Patch does not always work..It did not forme. Your tailbone is another area where these medications will have a more difficult time providing relief. You said your tolerance is through the roof, again understand that you may build a tolerance over time and only your Doctor will be able to help you. The swelling you are having to deal with of course this is from the Arthritis. Your legs are hurting & so are mine. It does radiate from your back to your hands and legs. You knees are no different. The whole body can become "infected" by this disease. There are a million different types. Have you ever had a blood test done to gain knowledge as to what your Uric Acid Level is? I know you said that your hips were not being friendly to you anymore. This is all arthritis. My hips pain me too, it radiates from my neck & back and goes to my arms & hands, legs & feet. Like yours, my knees are killing and falling apart. The doctor told you there is nothing that the tests showed however you have this great pain. The knees are a terrible spot. They are constantly in use and this is a very progressive disease, it does not stop and your body will feel its effect. Remember your doctor has taken an oath to help you-go back and adjust your medications. There are many different types. Do the research, go on the web-type in the key words and the info will be there for you in an abundance. This disease sucks. Send it packing. Get very well soon and I am very sorry you are hurting. Remember that all across the WWW there are millions of people just like you!
This discussion has been closed.