Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

First back surgery and new to this forum

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all, This is my first post here, just found this site today (wish I'd seen it before)
Here is my question....I'm having Posterior Lumbar Decompresion & fusion L5-s1 tomarrow. :<
I just got a call from the nurse and she said that
the Dr. wants to put in a bone growth stimulator. I have never heard of this. I looked it up and saw what it does but has anyone had experance with this.
Thanks for your help, Karen

• I had a bone growth stimulator for both my fusion surgeries (cervical and lumbar). I am sure someone here may have had one like you but honestly I don't know anything about an internal one.

I wore my cervical daily 4x a day for about 20-30 minutes. For my lumbar I believe it was the same times daily but for 30-45 minutes.

I wish you luck and God Bless!!! You will be in my prayers tomorrow.

• I had one. It was like a belt you strap on 30 min a day.

My dr and the insurance co thinks it works.....so it must work.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry i cannot help yo with your questions, but i do wish you the best on your procedure. =D> good luck and have a healthy recovery. :D keep us posted. Jenny :)
  • The bone growth stimulator your talking about, might be BMP. Bone morphogenic protein. BMP aids in bone growth, has its pro's and it's cons. Most Drs. go with BMP in fusions, but it has its risks. The Dr. puts the BMP in the area to be fused and it increases the chances of succesful fusion. Im not a Dr., but that might be what they were talking about, I dont know. Hope this helps. Good luck with your surgery tomorrow or today.
  • I agree with cbskibum most likely. I also wanted to wish you well with your surgery. We hope to hear about your recovery. We'll be here for you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I will be thinking of Karen today also, don't know the answer to the specific question.
    In Nov 07 I had a synovial cyst removed - microsurgery. On Mar 17 09 one week ago I had fusion L-4/L-5. I would like to get up and check exact procedure but can't get out of bed again - it just hurts too much still. Very different than the minimally invasive previous surgery.
    The pain has been off the graph, hope my neighbors don't hear me scream, and trying to get over embarrassment of how I can't hide my pain when friends, co-workers, family are visiting. Moaning and yelling and crying....I know it has to get better.
    I'm so depressed.
  • I am also having l5s1 decompression and fusion on mon. My surgen is using Bone morphogenic protein (BMP). I have done a lot of research on this and can not find anything wrong with it. By using this method there is no need for a bone graft from your hip. Which means another surgery needs to be made. You would than have another area to heal and another area of pain with the graft. The BMP is also believed to promote bone growth better than the graft, which means faster recovery. Good luck with your surgery and I hoped this helped a little.
  • Hi all..boy am I happy to find you! 5 wks since disc and cysts removed from L4-L5 and I got a stimulator too. Mine has electrodes that I wear at least 2 hrs. a day. It's supposed to be something fairly new and I hope I'm a good guinea pig.LOL My main thing has been DEPRESSION. Being on pain meds and muscle relaxers doesn't help. Been rough at home too, Hubby not the best at TLC. Hope we can all help each other thru recovery.
  • Good luck on your surgery!!! I was also told that it is so much better not to have the bone grafted from your hip. My husband had that done, he is still in chronic pain from his fusion.
    Tigerlady, welcome to the board also!!! I totally feel you on the depression part. I am here if you need someone to chat with >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<