Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

If you have DDD, is it hard to get SSI

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:29 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Does Anyone know if DDD makes you eligble for SSD or SSI? I go to court in May after 5 yrs of fighting my case. I have several other health problems too and am not a candidate for any operation, too much damage to the entire back and neck.And they have been fighting me due to my age .33 Pls let me know what you think.
advertisement

Comments

• hi!! :H i had to go to arbitration for the second time but i was approved and one of my conditions was DDD. =D> i don't know how that will work for you if that is your only condition. :? good luck as you go for your SSI. <:P if you have any questions, pm me anytime. :D Jenny :)
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,063
    that Degenerative Disc Disease is NOT factored in to your case. DDD is so common and probably the most mis understood spinal condition.
    Almost everyone by the time they are 30 years old will show some signs of DDD. Its normal.
    So, that should not be considered in your case. There are always a few exceptions, DDD can come on earlier and more severe based on prior surgery, trauma or genetic situations.
    Almost all cases of DDD can be managed through an approved exercise program, NSAIDs and rarely does it need surgery.

If they try to bring DDD into your case, I dont know how you could do this, but somehow, check everyone who is reviewing your case to see what degree of DDD that they have!
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I applied for SS over one year ago. I have been denied I now Have an attorney and pending hearing but not a court date, I keep having surgery and treatments and etc.
    I now have had three spinal fusion surgeries, and going to have a trial spinal coluumn stimulator next week. I really hope the court date is set soon. for both of us
  • This is not normal pain...how can yoube expected to workwhen you can't do anything for your self. I used to be able to stand to the stove and cook, garden, dance and walk long distances.....I can't do any of that now. On top of having 7 herniated disc (2 inthe neck and 5 in the lumbar spine I have COPD...which is always with me. I haveall the test and the doctors backing me, they turned me down also...I'm awaiting a hearing date too. Their own website shows this is a debilitating condition for those of us who suffer with pain 24/7....heck the drugs they give you to help manage the pain are bad enough.....they make you dizzy, sleepy and generally feeling wierd. How can they expect you to hold down a job. You can't sit too long...and some times you haeto just lay down toget some relief and then you're back up because you can't do that too long either. DDD is no joke. I have 7 I know...and one pinges the nerve root. I think its a shame the SSA does people I see people who collect and can at least walk.
  • I got done with my hearing about 3 weeks ago and I'm sure that I have been denied. My attorney said that I will be denied because of my age, she said that I need to reapply as soon as I get my denial letter. I will let you know as soon as I receive my letter. But I'm almost 100% sure I will be denied.
  • You don't want to REapply-if you get a denial letter you would appeal the process.

Your attorney is wrong.I was 35 whenever I went on disability.Regardless of what you hear,SS is not AGE related,it's all about your ability to work.Though it can be a battle for a lot of people whose ailments might not be noticeably apparent.

*PS~Their are children who recieve SSI-so it cannot be about age.
  • Thanks for replying, when I was in my hearing the vocational guy that was there for the judge even stated that there wasn't any jobs that I could do. My attorney said that they would probably get a denial letter because of my age she said that he would think of a different reason put in the paper but she said with the facts shown she couldn't see how he could deny me. I hope that you are right and they really don't take my age in consideration. If you don't mind me asking did you get approved for disability for DDD? Thank You
  • Well, I was approved in about 3 years for SSDI and I was 29 years old, and it wasn't back related either. My lawyer did tell me that age might play against me, but assured me that I would win the case. Are you applying solely for DDD or do you have a combination of other spinal problems and surgery? I think my DDD could be genetic, and probably aggravated by an autoimmune condition. It is severe on my L4-5 and L5-S1 discs and it causes me a lot of pain. I hope there is a chance that the ruling will go in your favor and not deny you just because you are young. Hang in there, take care.
  • its been over two years now sincemy accident at work and did recieve a settelment last august but not much but recieve much but did get all the medical covered, injsctions,pt's,massage's.im good for about four hours a day then need to take pills a lay down for couple hours.
    this is very frustrating since i cant get nothing done and the more i move around the worse the pain in my lower back gets.ive tryed celabrex,morphine,codine,oxycotin,flexarel and some others but im either loopy and feel no pain or can hardly move around with no meds.ive applyed last year but was denyed and forgot to reply within 60 days so i lost it and now reapplyed in june of 2008 with no answer yet. so i hirrered a aturney, let them deal with it. im lookin for ssdi. weirdly enough when my comp case was setteled, later i was lookin thru the papers and found they had used my ssi money to pay the settlement so now when i get ssdi 65.00per week will be deducted from it.that does not sound right.
    so now im on depression pills also and im not getting better.i did read today about a disk replacment and dascor,arthroplasty device that can replace the disks or just fill them up with fluid again so there like new.and the same thing with the facet joints to a point. HELP!!!
  • Rose~No,I was not diagnosed with DDD until June or July of 2007 whenever I was having tests and an MRI done for pre surgery testing-so I have no idea how long I had the DDD before the actual DX.I was having neck pain,but not severe..and it's still not severe as much as it is...constant.

DDD is pretty common.Where it might not be so common is if you are young,or if you are having a great deal of pain with it,as that is not as common.Most people get DDD,and most don't know they have it because a.)Their Drs never told them because the patient was not complaing of pain.or b.)Patient never had MRI done and it didn't show up on an x ray.

Whenever I first heard that I had DDD I was scared.I thought it was a disease-lol.The Dr didn't explain it to me at the time,and I wasn't there for that reason.It was many months later,whenever I started getting more pain in my neck-that I started researching it online.

Actually I'm not convinced that DDD is what is causing my pain,but if the Drs want to call it that,then that's fine with me.I'm not going to argue with them.

I'm not certain,but I THOUGHT I saw DDD listed in SS website as a disabilty.It would have to be at an advanced level I would think-but I really don't know about this.

*PS~The person I was helping to file disability & then appeal has just recieved word that he is getting it-We started in December,appealed,and he got it-no lawyer.He's pretty happy..but only getting paid retroactive from Jan.09 thru now.
  • Got a testing this week that is for my long term disabilitiy insurance. I'm about ready to start that fight but they will hire attorney's to help me hurry and get it. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
  • I just got my letter today and it states The Decision is Fully Favorable To You. I'm really surprised I really thought that I was going to be denied, but I was wrong. I was filing soley on my back which I have Multtlevel DDD in the lower lumbar sping L2/L3 through L5/S1. I have some herniation in the disc L3/L4 and annual tears in the L2/L3 and L4/L5, but this has not changed since my last MRI from 2 years ago. I suffer from Depression and anxiety. But I didn't think that being approved for DDD only was possible and I'm 33.
    I was denied twice and I went to my hearing about 2 months ago and then I got my letter today and I'm approved. I have an attorney I have had one since I got injured about 3 years ago. She has been with me through everything and I must say she has been great. :O :O
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.