Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Lower Back Pain
I have had persistent back pain for the past two weeks. It happened two Wednesdays ago when I traveled by plane to San Diego, CA. It was about a 4 hour plane ride. I can't really remember if my back pain started after the plane ride, or after sleeping on the couch that night, but it hurt the entire vacation. I figured I just slept wrong.

Now, two weeks later, it still hurts. The pain has changed, I cant' really explain how but it's different now. It's also starting to travel into my lower back only more, and is starting to affect my butt tailbone area, and I feel a bit of numbness.

Does anybody have any idea what could be going on? I'm only 22 years old, and have never had back problems before. I also cannot think of anything I could have done to hurt it other than sleep on the plane or a couch.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

• Have you seen your Dr yet he may do an exam and through his findings order xrays or an MRI. Try some heat 20 minutes 4X day. Also ice if you can with a towel between you and the ice. Let us know how you're doing. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Did you pull or strain a muscle? You can get some muscle relaxers like Soma or some pain relief meds like Tramadol at www.nowhere.net where you don't need a prescription or insurance to order as they use U.S. licensed doctors and pharmacies online to help and save money on the meds.

Hope you can find something to help with the pain.

Post edited to remove URL, solicitation is not permitted on Spine-Health

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health Administrator 03/29/09
  • a chiropractor.? it sound like that would be able to sort it out .my advice to you from someone that has had chronic back pain for 15 years is MAKE SURE YOU GET IT LOOKED AT AS SOON A S YOU CAN !!! dont leave it because you may be doing more damage and trust me and many other on here when we say you dont want to be stuck with permanent back ache..
  • For possibly a little relief that will not cause any harm, lie on your back on the floor with your rear end pressed up against a couch or chair. Bend your legs at a 90 degree angle and place your lower legs and feet on the couch (so your legs are now making two right angles -- ) Do not use a pillow, or if you absolutely have to, be sure it is very small, like a paperback book height. Keep your hands and arms at your sides, palms up toward the ceiling. Just lie there in this position and do stomach breathing and relax. If you can, do this several times a day.

This position is a natural form of "traction" that will help your spine fall back into a natural alignment and it will unload the discs. An alternative, is to lie on your back on the floor with your rear end up against a wall, again at a 90 degree angle, or as close as you can get. But only do this if you do not have to struggle to get into this position. It used to be comfortable for me, but now it is too much of a strain.

Chances are, you have stretched a ligament by being crunched up on a long plane flight and sleeping in an unfamiliar bed. I would give it two weeks before seeking any type of intervention unless it is just too uncomfortable.

You could try soaking in a tub of warm water and Epsom salts. You might take Advil or another NSAID just in case there is any inflammation going on (it would be inside, not where you could see it). Try taking this on a regular schedule around the clock for a couple days to see if it helps. If you just take one when you happen to think of it, it probably won't help at all.

Obviously if your pain worsens, call your doctor. If you develop any bladder or bowel problems, you need to seek help right away -- either call your doctor or go to the ER as this is a potential medical emergency.

Hope you feel better soon.
This discussion has been closed.