Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can A L4-L5 root nerve heal?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:29 AM in Lower Back Pain
It's been 13 Months since a Herniated L4-L5 with nerve infringement and Mild l5-S1 Herniation
My question to the group is, can my Discs be resolved without me not knowing It? because a still have slight weakness and pain in my right leg not going below my weist ,can the root nerve take longer to heal? seems to be a gray area here,my Dr told me surgery will not help me and is giving me a disability rating---Does that mean I am stuck with this or is there a possibility it can improve over time?
Thank you Group

Rick
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,040
    It sure helps if you would be doing the things your doctor told you that would help in that process. (ie Physical Therapy and other conservative treatments)
    Nerve problems can take a much longer time to heal and if the cause of why there was the initial nerve problem has not been resolved, the nerve pain probably would not disappear.
    I am always curious when I read statements that a doctor tells their patient surgery would not help them.
    Now, that can be very true, but there are a number of different reasons why.
    As long as you and your doctor have discussed those and agree that surgery is not in order, then you just need to proceed with the conservative treatments. Sometimes this takes time and you may need to repeat them over and over.
    Good luck
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thank you for your reply, yes I have been doing PT for six month,s and doing alot at home, always been very active,
    but PT only helps so much, but I continue to do it, I have had small Improvements over months not weeks, it gives me hope,thks for you time, Oh, they gave me two Epidurals, which helped alittle,

Rick
  • Hope this helps..

Before my surgery, while in the hospital my OS
    came in and was talking to me and doing some
    basic tests... like my left big toe, he said try
    to resist me pushin it and I tried and nothing
    it flopped like a fish..

he said after the surgery it should be almost
    as good as new....

so now 4 months after the surgery.. its about
    90% back.. it feels strong.. and it might not
    ever be 100%.... but Ill take 90%... =)

so I think and now know that nerves will
    heal.. just takes time...

• Very interesting....I have hernias there too & my Drs recommend surgery but I'm trying everything possible to avoid it, although it's looking like none of that is working right now. :( They say that with or without the surgery the nerve will take awhile to heal, but the surgery will help with my leg pain.
  • Sounds like you have the same root nerve I have involved,
    I had three opinions, the first one was from a spinal specalist that misread my MRI, and it him took three monthe for him to fiqure it out and wanted to do a spinal fusion without a examine while telling me on the phone it was a oversite on his part,
    Then I had two other opinions that when I got halfway through the story ,they told me they heard enough,two Dr's
    told me that surgical intervention was not needed, do PT and nerve root shots, I must admitt, I came a long way,I could not sit for long for 10 months, or put weight on my right leg , now after a year that is improving slowly-
    I am a opimistic type, and feel that your body heals, and since the Dr,s hesitated about surgery, that is all I needed
    Don,t give up on your bodies ability to heal itself,
    I take Tramadoll for pain,and walk when it does not hurt,
    If takes a along time , but like one spinal surgeon told me on a email, (I believe it what I do,but if the body can heal itself,you are better off)
    Thank you for your reply
    Rick
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.