Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello all. My question for everyone is this, is it standard to have to wear a back brace thingy after a fusion surgery using BMP and with rods. The reason I am asking is because my first surgery was a dynamic fusion (screws and bunge cords)and the doc said that it was not needed. I am just curious as to wheather or not I will have to wear one. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Hope that everyone has a great day!

• Hi,
    I am 4 months post-op PLIF L4-5 and was required to wear my brace for 3 1/2 months. I then had to get an x-ray to show the progress of the fusion, which is apparently coming along at the right pace, and the brace is gone (yeah!). I was not able to start pt until I was at this level.
    good luck!
  • It is something that varies from surgeon to surgeon. I had a PLIF with a cage, rods and pedicle screws and did not wear a brace, nor does my surgeon use them. The other surgeon I consulted with always uses a hard, custom made brace for all his lumbar fusion patients. There are valid reasons for either approach.
  • Hi All,
    I am new to this website and have a few questions. Hopefully, someone...ANYONE..can help. I had a back surgery in 2006 for L5/S1. This took care of the leg/butt pain but now it's back. I've done the PT, the whole Pain Management thing with injections, blocks, etc. I just had a MRI and it shows DDD, Bulging disc and Intingment (sp?) of L5 Nerve Root. I have an appointment with a Spine Surgeon on 4/28/09. I'm not sure what to expect. Will I probably have to have surgery again? Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Angie from KY
  • Hi Angie;

You may have to have surgery again which may be a relatively simple microdiscectomy or a fusion of L5-S1. I have had both. It really depends on your surgeon recommendations. Either way, get a second opinion.

Best of luck
  • Welcome to the board.

I suggest you make a new thread with your questions. Under the heading TREATMENTS there is a category for Back Surgery and Neck Surgery. If you start a new thread in that category, you will get many more responses.
This discussion has been closed.