Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2nd microdiscectomy next Tuesday

LovinggardenerLLovinggardener Posts: 494
Ok...I posted something similar on neck/back surgery but didn't get any response.

My MRI with contrast came back with the back news. The disc at L5 is herniated and the size is 25% bigger than the last one. So if I did the math right, it is 8.75 mm.

I have three questions:

1. Can you share your experience with 2nd microdiscectomy?
2. I have annular tear at L4-5. Can the tear cause me pain?
3. Can a tear heal by itself?

None doctors commented about the tear, so I wasn't as concerned. Having said that-after rereading my MRI results over/over, I found the tear worrisome.

Thank you in advance!

• I had my 2nd micro in july and reherniated putting on my underwear 2 weeks later.I tell you that so you can see how easy it is to do it again . Make sure you listen to your doc and absolutly no B,L,T at all .
  • Should I forgo the 2nd surgery and just wait and see if things get worse? There are two things that could have caused the reherniation: tripping over my husband's workbag and three days of sneezing/coughing.

This is so frustrating. Did your doctor recommend that you wait?
  • Did you feel the pain immediately?

Hope you are getting some kind of pain relief.
  • I've been following your story since your 1st surgery & I'm so sorry to hear about you needing a 2nd. -That's my worst fear & part of the reason I'm waiting to make sure I REALLY need a 1st (& hopefully only) surgery.

You'll be in my thoughts!!
  • You know I am trying to pinpoint what caused the reherniation. What I can remember was coughing and sneezing pretty hard and feeling my back hurting afterwards.

I don't want to scare you with my experience because the success rate is 90-95% Pretty high.

Like everyone who have posted, you just have to be extra careful during recovery.

Right now my pain is manageable with tylenol. What is troubling is that I have new pain along my inner thigh and light pressure in my groin.

Thank you so much for your support! I really appreciate it during this difficult time.
  • Today I went to see my internist and got prescriptions for the allergy symptoms. The dry coughing started again!!!! You got to be kidding me.

I got a nasal (steroid) spray and benzonatate for coughing. I am also taking Zyertec.

I started getting burning feeling in my left arm and right lower quadrant of the stomache. I don't know if it is from lying around too much. My dr. wants to check my blood for B12 deficiency.

I am optimistic about the 2nd surgery.
  • My sneezing caused me to get the microdisc for my disc herniation. I was so scared to sneeze and cough after my surgery. I sneeze alot, but i havent had any problems yet....knock on wood
  • It will be 4 weeks since my second microD this Monday. My MRI on the second one showed a reherniation of 5 x 9mm. The pain was terrible. I could tell an improvement immediately after the surgery this time. I still have numbness of my foot and some tenderness over the nerve in the right calf, but it is improving. I can only think of one sneeze that I had where the pain increased right after my first microD. It may have been when it reherniated. I still have 3 more discs with bulging. I am very happy that I had the second surgery and have it over with. Good luck to you.
  • SandyNurse,

I was wondering how you were doing. I am relieved to know that your pain has lessened.

Going through MicroD the 2nd time around isn't a walk in the park.

Please be careful like everyone has advised me to do. I am taking Zyrtec, using Flonase, and take cough drops to battle my allergy symptoms.