Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

dawnieeddawniee Posts: 48
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Chronic Pain
well saw my neurologist tuesday he agrees with the nuero surgeon that my severe pain is not structural in origin. yes i have some issues ddd disc herniations and stenosis but he says these are not the cause of my pain or my increasing nureo symptoms such as poor balance shot reflexes and continued pain that is just about manageable with the butrans patches.

anyhow he mentioned ms lupus or pernicious anaemia or other inflammatory conditions as potential causes. so its more blood tests a lumbar puncture and sensory evoked potentials.

i just want some answers and most of all my life back things get harder everyday my activities of daily living are increasingly restricted thank god for an amazing partner work well i have just gone back on sedentary duties that are much better for me than going back to being a scrub nurse. but even this new job is killing me i have to rely on a stick now towards the end of each day.

i just want to no whats going on cos i feel like i am drowning its like a slow slide into oblivion and my god it is sooo hard to be positive i dont go anywhere or do anything and i worry my friends will get p****d off with me. i am not depressed as such just very tired and very fed up i have gone from being the life and soul to a 39 year old woman living in a 95 year old body having to be helped in and out of the shower or walked to the bathroom in the evenings or the middle of the night because of the chance of falling due to such crappy balance.

well am going now i have ranted enough i do apologise.

• Hi Dawniee, I am sorry that you are going through such time. It is always the unknown that causes worries. How did the neuro determine the pain is not the cause from the DDDs? I am anemic and take daily iron pills. For me, anemic does not cause pain, just dizziness. But to hear the possiblity of having ms lupus will get you worried. Hang in there, work with your doc and get more tests done to figure out the problem. You are in my thoughts.
  • I have had a diagnosis of possible M.S. for 3 years.
    I cant even talk about all I have been through. Even after my cervical surgery several weeks ago he is sending me back too Neurologist. Things have just gotten worse over the 3 years so you could only imagine were I sit.I have had ever test you can have from head to toe. Not sure why I posted in your post dawnee but. in my heart I still feel my neck is my biggest problem. Lets pray you don't have M.S.
    And Lupus well about 20 years ago they told me I had Lupus and I took meds for Lupus for over 2 years for it and come to find out I never had it.True story dear it happens.
    I don't walk without help. walker or cane
    I don't go out of house but when I have to maybe every 3 weeks. I'm sick and tired. the nerve pain is crazy and at times I wanna rip off my right arm my legs mostly R are the same. my neck my back whats left i hurt everywhere.
    my cervical was compressed over 50 percent in one area C6-7. after the surgery to fix or stop the progression of myeolpathy....well so far nothing better.Not to mention all the other bad areas in my neck. I thought the M.S. thing would not come out of the doc.s mouth after this surgery but I was wrong.
    The meds make you think, talk, act, diff. so how can any doctor tell any thing. I understand why people give up. If not for my family I know I would.
    It was just 3 years ago i worked in medical field. I LOVED my job and mostly loved helping people. They all called me the nice one the sweet one. I'm not sure if it was the surgery but I'm different now I don't care like I used too I'm don't feel the same IM just sick and tired.
    All I used to have I have no more ALL I used to do I do no more. its the truth no matter how you look at it. this is not fair to me and not fair to my family. believe me my issues are not fair to them. things better get better real quick. like tomorrow!! Love patsy
  • hi guys,
    my neuro surgeon and nuerologist both agree that the structural issues with my back are not causing my myriad of problems.

so its bact to the drawing board and the query of ms lupus or pernicious anaemia. this type of anaemia is not clinically a true anaemia as such it is an inability to store vitamin b12 that causes anaemia like changes that can cause chronic pain and neuro symtoms.

all in all i just want my life back like so many if not all of us want. learning to live within this new set of parameters as best i can.

thanks guys for your responses
    dawniee x
  • The lumbar puncture and evoked potentials would give a better picture if he was thinking ms. Your balance, pain could be from ms. Have you had a MRI of your brain? Any lesions found? These would be things to consider. I went thru a workup for ms, due to my symptoms, but do not have it. But it is not the sentence it used to be. Medicine has made such strides in the past decade. Finding out what is causing the problems is the first step to dealing with them. Unfortunatly for some it can take a long time. Good luck, and hang in there.
  • Hi dawniee.I understand how you feel,anyone who is struggling with pain and other health related issues is always in search of a diagnoses-a name to put to what ails us.That sounds like what your Dr is trying to find out.

Keep in mind that you very well might not have anything that the Dr is testing for.These tests are often times given to rule things out rather than to actually find them.Usually a Dr won't tell you that he is looking for MS or another type of disease because there is no need to worry the patient when they don't know yet what they are dealing with.What I mean is,they usually explain that they are only testing to "rule out" certain causes.

Like Maggie said-it can take a long time sometimes to find the cause,or causes.

Sometimes many things are totally unrelated to our spine issues altogether,but of course-not always.One day at a time.Good luck to you.
  • i know what you mean in reference to ruling thins out. he mentioned ms but not the other two. its just as a nurse i know what the specific tests are looking for especially the blood tests.

my mri scan have been clear for lesions which is a step in the right direction. it all comes down a deep need to put a name to whats going on its like by naming the monster that is destroying your life makes it easier to fight.

thanks guys
This discussion has been closed.