Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Scheduling surgery and very scared

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello everyone,

I just scheduled an appt with my neurosurgeon for next Friday. I am gathering my list of questions to have him answer prior to my surgery.I know that they are fusing C3 tru C7 and placing rods in my neck.The surgery will be done posterior. C4 has severe stenosis. I am scared. I know that I have one of the best neurosurgeons, but going under the knife has me wanting to hide.I have started back to college and will have this procedure im May or June between semesters. I had a second opinion that also said that I needed this surgery as soon as possable this Dr. said I already have some nerve damage in my arms that I wasn't even aware of. Dr. says I will be in the hospital for 3 days if all goes well. I would like to see the rods he will put in my neck.Will they show them to you? Also know the diameter and length.. My other problem is that my left hip is higher than my right abut 1/2 to 3/4". Will this be a problem for my neck with the rods. Thank you for letting me vent.

• My name is Melissa. I just had fusion from my L4-S1 4 weeks ago. I was so scared before surgery too. I cryed a lot ot my husband, but I knew I had to get it done. I was in the hospital for three day. The first 2 weeks after surgery I was in pain but now I feel good. I would do it agian if I had to. I asked my doctor to see the rods after by surgery and he showed them to me. Best wishes to you
  • What does this mean. I went in with lower back pain. I know I have Degenerative Disk Disease too. I was told it was their, but the Doctor in Hawaii didnt borther to tell me, the Doctor here in New Mexico, said to me, IT CAN BE POTENTIAL DANGEROUS, By the way we will schedule a new MRI AND YOU CAN KEEP DOING WHAT YOUR DOING? But by the way this can be dangerous, what is he talking about. Do I go and walk and go to the gym, maybe what I did at the gym made my lower back go out and I can go out and do it again. What is he talking about, whats wrong with me. It's now been 2 weeks and my back has gotten better, but still stings and swinges. Anybody got any clue what he is talking about or what this means to me, I am going to be 45 in June and have 5 children the youngest being 4. I am scared to move. Any information please
  • Next time you go to your Dr bring someone with you so they can remember what you forget what the Dr says or bring a pad and paper. Don't do heavy lifting weights,kids grocercies. How old are you kids. Maybe they can do lifting for you so you don't strain yourself. I would go back to your Dr and get more clarification if you're MRI takes a long time. Open your own topic in left hand column under forum topic or create content to get more answers. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Uniqcorn said:
    My other problem is that my left hip is higher than my right abut 1/2 to 3/4". Will this be a problem for my neck
    That might have led to your neck problems...