Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

nerve pain? any ideas?

jeq1977jjeq1977 Posts: 87
I'm concerned about some numbness I've been feeling in my right foot, especially in my little toe. It's like a burning, tingling sensation--sort of painful, but mostly extremely annoying.

I had a left L5/S1 microdiscectomy, but it was a broadbased herniation so the doctor told me that I might start having symptoms on my right side. I've had mild intermittent pain in my right thigh and hip, but now it's only on the outside of my right foot, heel, and little toes.

Could this be caused by right side L5/S1 nerve compression, or is it more likely something else? And is there anything I can do to get rid of this weird burning feeling?

• Jeq,

The numbness in your toe and the tingling/burning sensation could be caused nerve compression, but your doctor would be the person most qualified to tell you that. Since your surgery was only two months ago, you could call your surgeon's office and ask if it really bothers you. If not, maybe you can wait till you have your next visit on 4/7.

Good luck,

• had 15 years experience of chronic back and leg pain .and i think that from what you have said ..it is your recent operation that is causing the burning down your leg and in to your foot.i have the same thing!its very common after L4/5/S1 operations{variations there off} dont worry too much
  • Hey Straker,
    I was somewhat encouraged by your post. I too have been experiencing numbness, tingling in my pinky toe. This is new withing the past couple of days. I had surgery on the 2nd of March/09 and the nerve pain is back and seems to be getting worse. I dunno. Its scary.
  • it has taken over 15 months for my operation to settle down.what bugs me is when the surgeons say you will be back to normal with in 3 months !!...yaerite!! more like 18 months...and the word normal...you would think that meant no pain and feeling OK again ?? well that's not always the case when i asked about normal.i was told that the way i am now is normal for me and most other back patients ..IE you are lucky that you can still walk and go to the toilet! many carnt..i think that coming to terms with the way you are now is a major part of the recovery process.i have posted on this under the depression bit of the forum{please note i am not depressed!!}.i hope that you recover from your surgery fast but dont be too upset if you are not back to exactly how you were before the operation {when you had no pain that is}.my email is tony.beer1@googlemail.com
    should you ever want to email me
  • Numbness in your little toe sounds like S1 nerve compression. I used to have the burning feeling, and used the mentol rub (OTC) every single day and night. It didn't solve the problem but it helped me get through the day.
  • What kind of menthol rub? I'd like to try it. It isn't terribly painful, it's just soooo annoying!
  • One good product that many professionals use is called BIO FREEZE. http://www.biofreeze.com/ You can find it online. I'm not sure what stores might carry it. It works quite well. You might also try taking a magnesium supplement and also a B Complex vitamin. Sometimes these will help. There is also another supplement called Zyflamend that some people swear by. I never found it all that effective...but some people do!!

I would not recommend you try a prescription muscle relaxer (such as Soma) without your physician's approval.
  • Sorry, I didn't have my thoughts all organized!!

It sounds like your nerve pain is definitely generating from either the L5 or S1 nerve root. (Don't ask me why...I know that's where you had your surgery....very frustrating!!)

Run a search for a dermatome map and you can see which nerve root radiates to which part of the upper or lower limbs.
  • Thank you so much! I've searched for nerve maps before and never got nearly as much detail as I was looking for. The dermatome map is exactly what I've been wanting to look at. Everything makes so much more sense now! Except for the fact that I already had surgery and I'm still in pain... :) But, it makes me feel better to know more about what is going on in there. Thanks!
  • I do use Biofreeze at times it sits right on my table wear I sit. I use it on my neck( spine) area mostly but have used it on many diff. parts of this body in pain.I use the roll on kind and it does help. 10 dollars is the cost. when you use it, only use it on the very spot that hurts don't go all around the area (I hope that made since)my opinion. blowing sweet thoughts around to all us in pain and a Big smile cause I always say a smile can take are pain away even if just for a minute. hugs full of love, Patsy
  • I used both blue emu and bangay extra strength. The blue emu did not really show till continuous usage for 2 weeks. At first, I didn't feel anything at all, but I kept on using it and found that it did help.