Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Constipation Relief

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi everyone.

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but I just wanted to share this. This has turned out to be a miracle medication that has made life much more bearable while taking pain medication that causes severe constipation. I fought bad constipation for years, then my family Doc prescribed for me, Polyethylene Glycol 3350 NF Powder 17 grams daily. This can be sprinkled on food or mixed with juice or just water.

Most of you know how miserable it is to have to deal with constipation and I hope this may help some of you.

I had anterior/posterior spinal fusion S1-L5/L5-L4 in 2002. Tarsal surgery left/right. Instrumentation removed. diagnosed with Failed back Syndrome W/chronic nerve pain low back/butt/down both legs and in both feet.

• Welcome to Spine health, JD.

You have some good advice here. People often suffer from constipation after spine surgery, or any time they are taking narcotics, so this is very good advise.
    Hope you will find this forum useful,

• It is called miralax and works very well.
  • the best way to take it is .mix in a cup with a little boiling water .then add a little orange squash the top up with cold tap water .{so the drink is warmish} this kills the horrible taste but it still works.i carnt take it as it should be taken {with cold water on its own } it make me heave!
  • I <3 MiraLAX! :D
    No taste (although I take mine in juice) & works GREAT!
  • When my late husband was having problems due to his metastatic cancer and all his meds, his dr told us about Senekot-S. It really worked. I used it after my surgery and pain meds, and worked for me too.

When ya gotta go ya gotta go..........NOT! :))(
  • ill say this twice, mirolax mirolax mirolax. active ingrediant like u said polyethaline glycol. mirolax mirolax mirolax!!!
  • Is available over the counter, but your Dr can give you a script for it and it is ALOT cheaper that way.
  • Miralax is amazing. It is over the counter and i am hoping one day for there to be a generic so it will be cheeper. I have to take 3-4 doses a day. I just mix it with a lil bit of what ever juice i have in the fridge and i am on my way... easy breezy. just gotta remember to do it.

a couple more thoughts. My doctor perscribed that golitely stuff that u take prior to a colonoscopy if I get real bad I take 2-3 tsps of that and WOW I am clean.
    it is painful however as I have tears that wont or will never heal due to the size and the infrequency I go. So he perscribed lidocain gel to put on the inside prior to going (it helps if I can do it in time).
    Take metamucil every day....
    eat high fiber cereals and snacks (Fiber one is very good)
  • You can get a script from Dr and get alot more for less. Ask your Dr.
This discussion has been closed.