Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

restless leg syndrome

strakerstraker Posts: 1,851
hi all
do any of you suffer from this innocence sounding problem?
i find that every night at around 3 am its starts first my back gets hot and my hands are scratching and rubbing it in my sleep {Kath has told me this is what i do!}then i start dancing all aver the bed then i wake in a bad mood with awful leg and back ache that will not go until i get up and move around and take pain killers {its not a circulation problem} anyone with this problem and more to the point any solutions for it??#

• I have RLS,and have had it for years.There is medication for it..but I refused the meds.After years of it I've learned to live with it,but I do meditate.Also-I've actually rubbed holes right through the bedspread (I used to sleep on top)and sheets....so-I've found no actual cure..just learned to live with it.

I can't think of the meds my Dr offered me right now..I'll think and post later.
  • My husband has what is referred to as "periodic limb movement disorder". He violently thrusts one leg or arm every 15 seconds or so throughout only some nights. Its weird. He is unaware of it, but awakens with no feeling of having rested. And, the shaking of the bed wakes me up...I always think of the Temperpedic commercial with the wine left unspilled! I guess its just more weird stuff our bodies go through. I think we were designed to live only 50 years or so!
  • Ah Nancy-I have that too! It wakes me up sometimes because it can be really violent,but I only have it in my lower limbs..I mean it when I say that I thank God that I don't have it in my arms too-or I might be hitting Michael in the face all night...lol...um,er,prolly not funny-but some nights it might be nice-lmao.

This is my choice of websites on RLS so far.If you haven't visited one lately they have added information since years back when I started reading about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restless_legs_syndrome

*PS~Also good thing for king sized beds in this situation :D
  • I don't sleep in the same bed as my husband hit me hard on my head and before that last time would kick at night. I tried the body pillow between us and that didn't work. So now laundry is two beds instead of one! I hope you get relief RLS sufferers. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    I've been dealing with this for about 6 years now. They started me with REQUIP which did take care of the RLS quickly.
    As long as I was taking REQUIP, I had no problems. I remember before taking this medication, most nights I would get into bed and my legs would start to spin. I would smack them to get them going, but it never worked, so I would get up and walk around the house for hours until it felt better.
    REQUIP was the answer, but the only problem, I started to develop a rash reaction to REQUIP and had to stop taking it. So, I have to deal with the twitching and crazy feelings.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Bob has hit me before...it makes me mad! Now we've just become accustomed to sleeping on opposite sides of a king sized bed. I really could do without the herky jerky of the bed. He claims to be unaware of any of it and I suppose that's possible...funny thing is he tends to do it more when he needs to pee! I find it almost impossible to awaken him to make him go to the bathroom though...seems a bit emasculating.
  • He probably doesn't know that he's doing it-unless it's one that wakes him he wouldn't know.I'm not aware at ALL of moving and I actually have worn holes the size of a basketball in my bedding-this over time of course.I always used to keep my feet on the outside of the bedspread-I layed on TOP of the bedspread,this also saved Michaels body parts from injury during sleep,but I wore my favorite bedspread out at the bottom where my feet are supposed to be.We recently bought new bedding at an upscale dept.store..I was going to just go to one of the chains,but we had gift cards from Christmas leftover so..anyway we bought new bedding and I'm sleeping UNDER the bedspread,on the sheets because they are slightly cheaper to replace.

Yeah-I imagine you are tired of the jerking movements..Michael works night shift so we don't sleep together every day/night,but lately he says that my movements are getting worse.He won't come right out and tell me that it's keeping him awake-I would have to ask him-and it appears that he's been having a harder time getting good sleep so...maybe I'll check on these meds.

My Dr (PCP) offered me the Requip,but that was quite some time back and I refused to take any more meds at that time.This was even before I was in pain management..so I don't know if she would even want me to take the medication now that I take pain meds.I read that narcotics are actually one treatment for RLS,but I'm not sure about treatment for the periodic limb movements in sleep (PLMS).