Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Right Leg Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I am a active 66 male who Hikes, Walks and Swims. Last year I 100 miles on the AT trail in VA with no back problems.
4 weeks ago I had minor low back stiffness, 3 weeks ago major right leg pain, could sit or drive, #7 to 9 pain in upper and lower leg, pins like feeling in foot. Went to ER for pain relief, xray said Sciatica, Saw spine doc who found weakness in right leg when I couldn't raise my self with right toe lift. Left leg is fine. Doc gave me Motrin 800mgx2, Neurontin 300mgx3 and vicodin prn. Pain is now tolerable and I can sit, but in slight fog!!

Had MRI yesterday
L2-L3 Minimal Bulging Disk
L3-L4 Bulging Disk
L4-l5 Bulging Disk
L5-S1 Diffusely Bulging Disk

I am suppose to see a surgeon April 15

Doc couldn't tell me if I should walk or stretch or swim, basically said if it hurts don't do it.

What am I to do ???

• See a doctor of Physical Medicine. I am a bit younger than you, 47 but my MRI is worse. I have had 3 doctors recommend surgery, but one doctor said no lets try a more conservative route. Intense PT, home stretches and some trigger point injections and I am mostly at 2-3 with an occasional 6. I do not want a knife in my back!
  • Welcome to the board. You should do exactly what the doctor told you. Mu surgeon always says that, too, and it drives me crazy...but, now I am beginning to understand what he means.

Try a mild form of the activities you normally do, walking would be best, and if it hurts more for several hours afterwards, cut back or stop the activity. Do not try to resume your normal level of activity at this point.

Years ago they used to tell patients to go to bed for a few days, but that is now known not to help. You want to keep the blood flowing, but you do not want to do anything to aggravate the situation, especially since you do not know what is causing the pain. Bulging discs do not necessarily cause symptoms or pain. As we age, we all show some bulging and loss of disc height....It is just a part of the aging process. However, most of us do not have an MRI unless we have pain so we do not learn about it.

In your case, chances are at least one of the discs is bulging enough to cause "sciatic" pain as a result of a nerve being compressed. It is common to have pain in the leg and not in the back with this condition.

For now, avoid any activities that involve bending at the waist, twisting and do not lift anything heavier than about a gallon of milk. Try to avoid reaching overhead. Avoid anything that is going to cause your body to bounce or "vibrate", like boating, driving on rough roads,skating, etc. You have herniated discs at multiple levels and the trick will be to keep them from getting worse.

You can try icing your lower back for ten to fifteen minutes at a time to help with pain.

You do not have to sit on the couch for the next two weeks! Just use common sense and good body mechanics.

xx Gwennie

• ice packs and then heat then ice and heat {that confuses the nerves for a bit} also i can recommend the acticare unit its a high powered TENS} and for exercise gentle swimming its all i can do and my back is hell.
    good luck