Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

7 week post-op MRI questions (micro-discectomy)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
It's been almost 7 weeks since microdiscectomy @L4-L5. I've been having problems..(thanks to all those who responded to my previous posts).
Does anyone know if it's easy to differentiate between scar tissue and a re-hernaition? My pre-op MRI looked like my disc was "blowing a balloon." Massive herniation. I would think scar tissue would look different on an MRI.
I'll be getting a contrast MRI. Does anyone know about the injection? Is it a simple needle or the whole IV drip thing?

Stay cool spineys!

• Yes, I believe they can tell the difference between the two fairly easy. When you have an MRI w/ contrast, it will be injected through an IV; no drip thing. You may feel a deep warming sensation like you've just downed a bottle of Hot Schnaaps ( I wouldn't know ;) and you may feel a little nauseous. It happened to me and I swore I was about to bark inside the MRI, Oh, the horror..Thankfully my cookies stayed put and the exam went well.
  • I just had that MRI done a little over a week ago. It may take a little longer than usual. They put the IV in (saline only, using a small needle), put me in the machine for 45 minutes, and then pulled me out, injected the dye into the IV, and put me back in for 13 more minutes. I didn't feel any effect of the dye really other than a minor heat sensation -- but it was really minor. The nurse put a wash cloth over my eyes before the MRI started, so I never saw what it looked like inside the MRI. This helped prevent the closed in feeling. This MRI wasn't as terrible as the last one I had (but I was in much more pain six months ago). The noise is annoying, but remember when it stops you can relax, cough, (just don't move your spine), because there will be small breaks in between the noise sessions. If you are nervous about the MRI, one of the things that was recommended to me was staying up late the night before so I would be extra tired during the MRI. That will keep you more relaxed.

I hope everything turns out okay for you! The MRI will likely show if the disk has reherniated because of where the disk pushes into the nerve. However, my situation right now is where there's a disk fragment or "something" they can't identify. It's close to the nerve and causing some pain, but it's not pinching the nerve. You can definiately tell on the MRI that it's not coming from the disk itself. It's a little piece of something. So to answer your question, they should be able to tell if there's something coming out of the disk or if it is separate.

I hope this helps!

• I appreciate the feedback. Damn! An IV hey meydey?... I hate IV's. Once they're in I'm ok, but it's the poking, prodding process that churns my stomach. Oh well. Hopefully I'll be able to hold the cookies in myself.
    Good to know you could definitely tell on the MRI that it wasn't the disc itself Haylie. I was guessing there'd be a visible difference between a full on herniation and other anomalies. It's been a good day today (almost pain free). It gives me hope that the MRI will show that everything is ok.

Thanks again for your responses!
  • Craig, it sounds like you are going through a similar situation as me. I just had a MRI with contrast on Monday. It was like getting your blood drawn. I hate IVs too. Just a prick and then the dye went in. I didn't feel the dye during MRI. That evening the injection site felt weird. Nothing scary. The next day I was fine.

Overall I got myself worked up for no reason. I didn't know I was getting the dye until I arrived to the imaging place. I just got freaked out because it was unexpected.