Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Two Level ACDF April 15

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm scheduled for two lever ACDF April 15 for 4-5, 6-7. I had a car accident Nov 18, 2008 when a guy ran a stop sign and spun me around. I've been through the conservative treatments - Chiro, steroids, ESI and now time for surgury, Nerve conduction test shows radicuopathy on c6. I've been limited to working 5-6 hours a day, luckily I have a job that is flexible and i leave when neck and back say time to home.
This is the third time I have been scheduled, first time was cancelled by doctor, second time due to an UTI found during preop - so hopefully third time is the charm. I'm ready to get through this and get life back to normal (whatever that is)

I've been using Vicodin and Soma since the accident. Doctor is concerned I am developing a tolerance, although I have only been using one of each a day for the last week and an antiinfamatory. I was told pain control after surgury would be harder due to the lenght of time I've been using them and to use the medication sparingly. Nighttime can be tough painwise.

I'm getting nervous - anxiety was high the few days before the last cancelled procedure. How does tolerance effect you ? Does anyone know what dose constitutes a higher tolerance post surgery ? thanks for all the info here.

• The surgery I had was a four-level fusion. One thing I know for sure is that the staff will have more potent drugs post-surgery to keep you out of pain. You can count on that. Wish you the best. Keep us updated afterwards.
  • I don't see how 1 vicodin & 1 soma would affect your pain control after surgery. As mrlee said you will receive stronger meds initially post op. I am having an ACDF C5-6 & C6-7 on Monday. I've benn scheduled for almost 5 weeks & I too am ready to get this over with. Fortunately, I am not having a lot of pain so the only thing I take is advil. Good luck & I hope you don't have another delay.
  • Before my surgery, I was taking Vicodin and Flexiril as needed, about 3-4 of each a day. Doc never told me to cut down before the surgery. In the hospital, I was on a Dilaudid pump. The next day when I left the hospital, I was given prescriptions for my usual Vicodin and Flexiril, and in addition Dilaudid, Soma, Robaxin and some others.

I really hated the Dilaudid and I was able to stick with Vicodin and Flexiril and still take them to this day, although not as many. It doesn't seem that I've built up a tolerance at all.

Good luck on your surgery - I hope it does the trick.
  • I was taking percocet and zanaflex around the clock before surgery. I didn't cut down before hand, my pain was too strong. They managed my pain very well in the hospital. Surgeon sent me home with 10 days of oxycontin and percocet(I stretched it out to 3 weeks). Even though my surgery pain is gone, I still have the same nerve pain as pre surgery and made several calls into them. I'm almost 4 weeks post op and they finally have me on vistial, vicodin, and zanaflex. Good luck with the surgery.
  • Jusducky....I am having surgery the same day! Mine is C5-6. I was in a car accident Jan 1 2008. I too have had other treatments. PT, ESI, pain meds, ice packs.....you name it! I hope this surgery helps. I have a desk job and at the end of my day all I can do is drive myself home and lay on the couch. Some days I do more like making dinner, doing dishes, grocery shopping....you know "normal things" and I pay for it later. My the numbness is my fingers is getting worse and at times the pain in my shoulders is unbearable....brings me to tears. I wish you the best of luck!!
  • Hi Justdcuky,

Good luck on surgery April 15th. I don't think your taking that high of pain meds to really be a problem. One of my surgeons did have me stop all meds prior to surgery. I think that is just a surgeons choice. More than anything I wanted muscle relaxers post surgery to control the pain. I agree the hospital will control your pain post surgery. Good luck on surgery and keep us posted on how you do.