Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Member looking for support

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone,
I am 29 years old and have been suffering with chronic neck pain for 2 years now. It came on all of a sudden with no injury and was initially diagnosed by my doctor with a pulled muscle and given an anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxer...neither did much for the pain. Then the doctor recanted his initial diagnosis and said I must have bursitis and kept me on the meds which I told him weren't working. Two months later I went back to tell him it hadn't gotten better and he put me in physical therapy and gave me Vicodin. The Vicodin helped and the PT lasted 4 weeks with no huge improvement and ultimately ended with traction which helped...for about 5 months when the pain came back. To make a VERY long story short I got a second opinion was put on steroids, Tylenol #3 and Flexiril. Then was given Valium and finally Ambien. I had an MRI and it showed moderate degeneration in my C6 and C7. No painkillers are working, the Valium had no affect at all and with the Ambien, I take it and am awake 4 hours later in pain. Not to many people around me, family, friends, even my husband understand what it is like to live with this pain for 2 years. It is taking a HUGE toll on me mentaly, my work is suffering, my social life is suffering as is my marriage. I have finally been refered to an orthopedic surgeon in a couple weeks and am hopeful that somehow I can be pain free for the first time in 2 years. I'm only 29 and feel like I am much older physically and mentally. Is depression and anxiety a major player in chronic pain or am I just going crazy after 2 years?

• Have you seen a pain management Dr? I'm on disability from work. Do you have any sick benefits? I also would ask for an antidepressant it can help with chronic pain. I hope you get some answers with Ortho. I had 2 Ortho consults now I'm going for a 3rd opinion with a NeuroSurgeon. You sound normal to me. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.depression can definitely be a part of chronic pain. :? it is something many of us suffer from. medication can often help. :D talk to your doctor about this. :-C good luck with pain relief! Jenny :)
  • Hi Taranga. Your story could be mine, although I didn't suffer for two years. I also had a sudden onset of pain last April and had surgery in October. I had also tried PT and traction which helped for about two weeks, but surgery was inevitable for me.

I'm glad you're going to see a surgeon, although like Charry, be prepared to get a second and even a third opinion. If you are a surgery candidate, you really must be 100% confident in your surgeon, whether it's an ortho or neuro surgeon.

I know it takes a toll on work, social and marriage situations, but a final treatment option could help to mend them. Please keep us updated on your progress. So many of us have been through what you're going through and the support here is invaluable.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions or just need to talk. Spinal issues are very difficult and the road is a long one, but we're here for you.

Take care,
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    I can relate to what you are experiencing, it is hard for others to know what you are going thru unless they have been there. The pain, lack of sleep, the inability to concentrate and focus just wear you down. I went down a similar path like you have gone where some Dr's just speculated. That all changed when I found the right Dr after being persistant in looking for answers. Now I have a great medical team that communicates and works together in keeping me active. Granted I am not the same old me of years ago but the new me isn't all that bad. Some days are better than others but we just need to keep busy and focused on the positive. Keep seeking the answers to relief you need Tara and don't stop, ever! Keep us posted and PM me anytime if I can be of help to you or others.
  • Honestly the replies I have gotten have emotionally overwhelmed me! In the 2 years I have had pain I have not had the sincere offers for support and advice that I have gotten in the last 24 hours on this forum. You all hold a special place in my heart and just knowing that people like all of you are here to even just listen is a huge relief.
    Even last night just knowing that I had a chance to write about what my life has been like for the last couple years helped me sleep just being able to get it out. I have a feeling I have a long road ahead of me and I'm ready to fight for an answer as long as I have support and someone there to pick me up by my bootstraps every once in awhile. I truly appreciate the kind words and will keep posting as I progress. I also hope that I can help support someone in thier journey to get thier life back as you all have offered help and advice to me on this forum. Thank you all so much!