Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

kyadog115kkyadog115 Posts: 266
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Scheduled for Micro'd (L-5) and nerve decompression surgery on April 8th. I am extremely nervous about this proceedure. However, It is being done on an outpatient basis. Evidently, I come home the same day. I need it desperately as my left leg is painful and weak. My left foot is numb. It's been this way since last Aug when I blew out the disc lifting an air conditioner. Will I need a lot of help when I am home? Will I be mobile and able to get around? Can anyone advise on this please?

• I just wanted to say Good Luck and God Bless.

Just do whatever the surgeon tells you post-op. I never had your type of surgery but a fusion but I am sure you will probably get close to the same do's and don;ts as I did.

Don't bend, don't lift, don't stretch etc. If you get a grabber USE it!!!

Keeping you in my prayers for a pain free experience.

• Paul,
    Good luck with your surgery, I can't help answer your questions since all my problems have been cervical spine related. Things wil go well you will be in our thoughts.
  • The first few days are the worst. I didn't have any more leg pain at that point, but there was a lot of lower back pain from the surgery, and pain at the incision. Do you have anyone that can stay with you and help you for 2-3 days?
    You will need to get up and walk around every day. They will get you up and walking a few hours after surgery. Walking is very important.
    You will not be allowed to sit for long periods of time, lift, bend, or twist, even if you feel better, and you won't be able to drive for a couple of weeks. Everyone is different, but you should be able to walk around and take care of yourself relatively well.
    I was absolutely terrified before my surgery, but really it wasn't bad at all. After the first few days, I didn't need pain meds anymore, just ibuprofen.
    Good luck, I hope it works for you!
  • Thanks for that reply. It's reassuring. I really don't have anyone to stay w/me, thats why I asked if I would be capable.

• TinaMarie.
    Thanks, much appreciated !
  • It's just easier to have someone else there to get you stuff, and pick things up for you when you drop them...
    You will be tired and sore and probably won't feel like doing much. Before your surgery, get your recovery area ready. I had a couple bottles of water and a basket full of all sorts of snacks next to my bed for when I didn't feel like getting up to get myself food. It would be a good idea to make some easy meals or sandwiches ahead of time, just to get you through the first few days. And buy yourself a grabber, if you don't already have one. Its a wonderful invention, and one you don't fully appreciate until you can't bend down. :))(
  • Paul,

My first surgery was a diskectomy at L5/L6. I stayed overnight, but that was a few years ago. My partner told me the first thing I said when I woke up was that my pain was gone, so I am hoping you have the same results! Follow all the post-op instructions, and walk when you can. You will be fine!
    I have surgery on Friday, 4/6. It's a diskectomy and removal of a bone spur at T2/T3, and I'm pretty nervous as well, but I'm confident all will be fine.
    Good luck to you!
    Shane in SC
    Lumbar laminectomy 2005
    ACDF 2006
    Thoracic discectomy 2008
    Lumbar discectomy 6/2010 & rods and screws due to reherniation-8/2010
    2/14---new cervical pain with radiculopathy--both arms
  • I also havnt had the disectomy, had a fusion about four months ago now and understandably being nervous is apart of this whole journey. I was outpatient with my fusion and I remember it being so nice that I was able to come home that evening. For me the pain felt like a deep bruise, ache, kind of like a really bad shin splint in my back when I woke up in recovery. That morning despite the anxiety the night before I was ready to just get it over with and the anxiety actually lessened when I got to the hospital to check in. Hang in there as I always say the scary part is almost over and you will be on the other side of this telling other people your own story and experience.
    Listen to the doctors and their restrictions, dont bend, dont lift, dont twist, and get up to walk around even if just for ten minutes at a time. DONT compromise your surgery to pick some thing up. I would reccomend if you have a relative, spouse, or close friend to stay with you the first few days that would be best. Also in the forum here is a post called "post op must haves" its a great list of things to think of getting along with the grabber to help make life easier in the first week. Make sure to stay on a good pain regiment as its hard to get the pain back under control in the first few days. I found a notebook helpful to write down when I had taken what so I knew when I was good for the next dose. Good luck, I hope this surgery does the trick and I know all to well what leg pain and numbness is like, the surgery for me fixed that.
    Best Wishes
  • Shane,
    Good luck to you as well!,Thanks to all who replied.It does help.

• I have surgery on April 9th so I understand your nervousness. Do everything the doctor says. Be patient and give yourself time to heal. I will be thinking about you on the 8th.

• I found the microdiscectomy to be a piece of cake. I wasn't all that painful and went back to work within a week. Of course, mine only lasted for about six months, then the rest of my spinal injuries chimed in and I needed a fusion. You will want to be careful about bending, lifting and twisting. I had mine as day surgery also and came home to just two cats, who really don't help out a lot. I was okay on my own.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • No matter how big or small the surgery is, you don't want to do a lot in the first week after you come home, so yes, if possible, prepare yourself like stock the fridge with food you can warm up in the microwave. You will need someone to drive you home after the surgery, needless to say. No bending, lifting and twisting (BLT) till you are completely healed, not when you feel comfortable.
  • I hope this surgery is successful for you. You've been suffering for quite some time and having trouble getting pain mgmt. Please be sure to follow all the docs rules and restrictions and take it easy. My prayers are with you my friend.