Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery 3 tomorrow

maroseonemmaroseone Posts: 238
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just wanted to let you all know that surgery 3 will take place tomorrow morning. I have to say that the last two surgeries were successful in stopping the progression of myelopathy. The damage to my cord has not gotten worse, my NS said my spinal cord looked like someone who may have MS, but I don't have MS since we know how that damage occurred. This next surgery will totally decompress my cervical spine, they are doing a two level posterior laminectomy at c3 and c4, with some other cleaning up being done. Doctor says it should be a 4 hour surgery with a 2 day hospital stay. I will try to post later in the week when I get home and can sit at the computer.
I also wanted to say that the WC battle is now over, we got the Judges decision yesterday in the mail. They (my employer) have to pay me WC since the date of my injury, to continue as long as necessary, they also have to pay for scaring(75 weeks of comp) after I am either released to go to work or totally disabled. They are also to pay all medical bills so far, and are responsible for any bills or procedures in the future done to my cervical spine. It is a big weight lifted off of our shoulders. Good things are happening and we know things will be ok tomorrow.
Thanks for all the support.....guess it wasn't the train afterall........

• Good luck, tomorrow! All will be okay. I have my third surgery on Friday, so I know where you're coming from! Take care!
    Shane in SC
    Lumbar laminectomy 2005
    ACDF 2006
    Thoracic discectomy 2008
    Lumbar discectomy 6/2010 & rods and screws due to reherniation-8/2010
    2/14---new cervical pain with radiculopathy--both arms
  • I'm so happy for you that WC and your work is settled. That is such a hinderence that people have to go through money worries when ill. I wish you all the best for tomorrow.. Hope to hear from you soon and that all went well. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Best of luck to you, we know you will do well. I was reviewing what you had done previously, wow! You have really been worked over in that area. Anyway,
    take care and let us know how you are doing once you feel up to it!
  • Mark, you really go through a lot and you sounded really positive about tomorrow's surgery. All the best to you.
  • good wishes to you on your surgery. tc
  • Just wanted you to know I am praying for a successful surgery tomorrow
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Thinking of you and wishing you the best of luck on your surgery today. Hope all goes well.

Great news about the WC!
  • Hi Mark,
    Hope your surgery goes well and does what you need it to do.
    The first few days may be rough, but it will get better.
    Thinking of you
  • I had the same surgery which was also my 3rd on c5-c7 in November 2008. You will need extra days at the hospital along with help both at the hospital and home. I learned to get in and out of the bed by pulling on that dangeling thing above my bed I learned I could pull my self up and push myself with my feet at all the same time getting in and out of the bed I also had to have my husband help by pushing my bottom upward at the same time sorry so graphic but you might need this advice. I know I could have used it. It will be like no other surgery you have had so far. I hope all goes well for you and I will be looking forward to your post op posts!
  • Just wanted to stop by and say THANKS for the support. Things went rather well for us this time. I am adjusting to new meds so it may take a little time to get the cob webs out. This time the laminectomy went a little easier, guess when you know what is coming it is easier to see. The NS was surprised by the amount of scare tissue that he found and removed while he was working on the lami, but I do feel much better this time around, I know its only been 4 days, but what a good 4 days. Well it is nap time..lol..I will try to post more tomorrow. Again Thanks..

• Thank goodness that you are home and feeling better! Keep us posted on your recovery!
  • Congratulations on the WC decision, that has got to be a major relief!! More importantly, congratulations to you on your super great four days!! May you have 40,000 more super excellent days!!

Fused L2-3 to S1 and at C5-6. I have a central herniation @ T11-12 and multiple bulging discs in my thoracic. I also have fibromyalgia and suspected arachnoiditis, awaiting my results of a recent MRI.
  • I'm happy your surgery went well & that you're feeling good.
  • Hang in there! This 3rd one will be a charm for ya! I can feel it!
  • I'm glad all went well with your surgery and your recovery is a bit easier on you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Mark, we are so glad to hear from you. Glad that you typed, '4 good days', and now you are home. Have a uneventful recovery.
  • I only just now saw this thread. I am pleased to hear that you are home and all went well. The posterior approach is so much more difficult to recover from, but it sounds like you are handling it quite well. Keep up your positive attitude. And that is great that WC is covering things now. With that stress off your mind you can relax and heal.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Thank you all again. This site has been my friend for well over a year, it makes things easier to understand and deal with some of the things we deal with on a daily basis that other people just don't understand. I am surprised on how well my throat feels today, I was having many problems pre-surgery with swallowing pills and food, but it seems to have left me alone for now, not complaining just a bit surprised. I think it had to do with the scare tissue issue. I have to make my next NS appointment later today, he was real upbeat this time after my surgery, sort of like you got to the finish line and won't have to start over again. They told me in November of 07 that it would be a long slow battle, they were right, but a battle much worth fighting for. We see so many negative results, but the good ones are here too, I hope I can hang around and help out others as a lot of you have done for me. I am going to follow my own advice and take it easy for a few more days and try to not do what I shouldn't be doing.....lets face it we all do those little things. Looks like the med issue is getting on track, gee took me an hour to figure out what went with what, but at least I have it written down. I will try to pop in later today. Good luck in all your recovery efforts today.

• Boy, am I late in reading your post. My apologies.

Congrats on a successful surgery. You've really been put through the ringer and I'm so happy to hear that things are looking up for you.

You need to change your signature - it IS light at the end of the tunnel not a train.

Take care and I look forward to reading more of your recovery posts.

• Just had to laugh Cath, I'm not far enough along to remove the TRAIN just yet, soon I hope. Thanks for the wishes and I hope your recovery is back on track.