Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie from Kent with cronic back pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Chronic Pain
Found the site by chance and i am so glad i did i have suffered over 20 years from back pain till in the end 5 years ago had to stop work.
After many xrays, MRI's lots of tablets , money spent on treatment i was found to have degeneritive disk problems and a trapped scatic nerve, Mri showed L3 L4 L5 on one side and L3 and 4 on left side plus the scatic nerve i have had 2 lots of injection last Feb and 3 weeks ago i am now due next Sunday to have R D of the Lumber Facets ,is or have any of you had this done and whats the succes i have suffered pain 24/7 for many years to the point of it making me depressed and totally worn out i want my life back again i am only 59.

• i am up in manchester uk also in pain for 15 years and had 2 operations .have you tried the acticare unit>seewww.acticare.com
    i have just for out that {along with other back problems}i have facet joint hypertrophy and 2 bulging disc
    what is a R and ,D?
  • Hi,I want to welcome you to the site. I'm sure you will find some answers. My problems are mostly in my neck area. I do have a few disc that are not to good in my lower back, and they do bother me. they say it is nothing that requires surgery.I'm about 7-8 weeks out of surgery with neck.
    I'm sorry about all your pain and I know how you feel. I also have terrible sciatic pain both sides usually just one side at a time R is worse. well good luck with finding help. Patsy
  • Welcome to SH. Hopefully you will find some answers to your problem. This is a good place to express your concerns, ask questions and even vent. We are glad you are here.

• Also interested in what a R and D is?

Donna...I don't think I have seen you on the site before and I just want to say Hi and let you know that when I seen your name I thought oh good one. It didn't take me long to figure out.... and I just want to let you know I think that is beautiful and will never think of a frog the same way again.
  • I am from KY to! What Part and welcome! :)
  • Sorry i should have explained better than i did , it is Radiofrequency Denervation of Lumber Facets in other words burning of the nerve endings i have not a clue what the succes rate is but i will try anything . after reading a few threads on the site what i have is very little to what some of you have but as we all know living with pain 24/7 is no fun at all, you would not let your own animal suffer ,
    My hugs go out to all of you
    Margaret >:D<
  • I had that done on both sides of my lower back on january 2008,it does take about four weeks for the nerve to settle down,it lasted about a year....
  • I'm Ian & i'm from Swanage on the Isle of Purbeck in South Dorset. I have just had another round of facet joint injections (10, 5 on each side, two hip nerve blocks & and ESI) two weeks ago today and at present I am 95% pain free which is wonderful but I know that with the others they have only lasted for me for around 7 weeks & pain cover starts dropping from weeks two (nice just about now then!! LOL)I think that for me the next stage is also RD, but haven't had a chance to talk to anyone from the pain clinic about it yet as I am not due for a follow up for a few months yet - you'll know what I mean if your on the NHS also LOL I've heard varying reports on RD here, some people find their nerves regenerate quickly & it hasn't been worth it but for others they can go a year or more with no pain what so ever - I would take the chance every day of the week, pain free is pain free!!!! its a bit like the facet joint injections mixed bag from what I can gather.
    Let us know how you are getting on - PM me if I can help with anything. Ian
  • Hi Ian
    Wow and i think i have problems also as you say doing your own reaserch i used to work on the Orthopedic ward before i stopped working but then i was lifting people yes people over 25 years ago before all the legal things came in about moving and handling ,yes and i know about the waiting for appointments been there got the tee shirt for it ,
    I am now counting the days to the 5th of April to have this RD done and by reading the threads its a mixed bag of results i would like to know though what your limitations are on what you can do after having the RD how long the soreness lasts but then i can put up with that anything is better than pain all the time.
    When i went for my assessment the nurse was telling me she had RD done and 3 years down the line she is still pain free but before she had it done she was nearly in a wheekchair and on a lot of medication.
    Just like to say this is a brilliant site and i am glad i found you all,
This discussion has been closed.