Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain meds and muscle relaxants

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Lower Back Pain
I've had a couple of pain free days. It gives me hope that my post op MRI this coming thursday will not show a reherniated disc after my microdiscectomy 7 weeks ago. I haven't taken my pain meds last night or today and I feel just fine. I try to avoid the muscle relaxants at all costs because I hate the side effects. Is it a normal part of the healing process to have a really bad day, only to have it followed by a few really good ones for no particular reason? Also, I don't think I stand to experience any withdrawal symptoms as I've only been on 150mg of Lyrica per day. I'm not sure if Lyrica was doing anything anyway. Do you think it's a good idea to stop the pain meds, seeing as I'm not in any pain at all? I know you're not doctors or pharmacists, I'm just looking for input before I speak to my doctor this week.

• It is my personal opinion that you should always talk to you Dr before stopping a medication abruptly.

I don't have any personal experience with LYRICA,and have never taken it-so I can't even give you a personal story on that one.Though I certainly don't always practice what I put out there--I do try to be healthy,and with meds and our bodies well...I just don't know.If you can't get in touch with your Dr today,you can always call the pharmacy.They probably won't tell you to go ahead and quit taking it,but they would tell you if there were any danger in doing so.

I don't know the normal healing for a microdiscectomy and if that one really bad pain day was normal-maybe it was unrelated,or different pain,was the weather bad or did you do something different,as in a movement?

Hey~Good for you on those pain free days-that's something to celebrate!

• Thanks Robin. My doctor said I can take the muscle relaxants at night (bedtime) and on a prn basis. They space me right out so I've been avoiding unless I absolutely need them. As for the pain killers(lyrica), my pharmacist said it's probably not a problem to quit as it was a small dose, but recommended I cut it down to one 75mg @ night.
    As for the pain thing I seem to be a positive role right now. I just got back from a brisk 50 minute walk with no back pain and just some very minor pain in my left glut on the gentle slopes up. Something to be happy about indeed!
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    So glad to hear you're doing so well. Sounds like you're really recovering well. I hope you continue to be pain free and don't need the meds. That's great! Take care.
  • Thanks sunny. I'm lovin' the fact I don't need the meds right now. Let's just say I'm cautiously optimistic about my recovery. Things were really good the first 4 weeks. Week 5 was bad. Week 6 a bit better. Now week seven has been a lot better. The MRI this thursday will tell all. Thanks again for the kind words.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Hope the MRI brings only good news. Hope next week is an 'up' week too.
This discussion has been closed.