Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

T8 wedge fracture

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Osteoporosis and Fractures
My nine year old son suffered a T8 wedge fracture due to a skiing accident. The consulting pediatric orthopedist did not put him in a brace, and cleared him for a 3 hour flight the next day, which my son tolerated without much pain. He's ambulatory, can sit for long periods of time and can walk up and down stairs, but only with assistance.

What sort of recovery time can we expect from this type of injury? Will there be longer lasting symptoms or can this type of injury completely heal?

• I'd get a second opinion. I had wedge or endplate fractures and was placed in a brace for 12 weeks.
    There was someone on here a few weeks back that had these type fractures that was not placed in a brace and they did not heal.
    Due to his age he may heal perfectly fine with no brace at all, but I would feel better with a second opinion if it was my son.

Healing time? He is young, and I expect he will heal well and quickly with no ill effects, there is no magic wand though. I was told 12 weeks minimum for my brace when I fractured T3-4-5. I ended up in the brace for 15 weeks due to scheduling issues with my treating doctor. I threatened to take if off at 12 weeks, but my wife offered up that she would kill me if I did so :D so I did not.

Welcome to the forums, please if you have any more questions just ask!
  • I had a wedge compression fracture from skiing when I was 15 and I did not even know it for 4 weeks! I had an appt with my Orthopedic surgeon about my knee and told him that my back hurt after a big fall. He took precautionary X-rays and, low and behold, it was a fracture. I did not wear a brace, he just told me to not ski or play soccer for another 4 weeks. It was quite uncomfortable to sit for long periods and laying flat on a hard surface helped immensely! Exactly 4 weeks after, I was cleared to play high school varsity soccer and had a little pain, but was totally fine.

If you want more assurance, which is never a bad thing, I would ask the doc to order him an MRI and a CT scan; that way they can check on the disc and nerves, not just the bone.

Hope this helps and best of luck
This discussion has been closed.