Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just left Neuro...

kyadog115kkyadog115 Posts: 266
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Was supposed to have another MRI but, I told themm that the other Doctor had left metal fragments in my back. I have this on a DVD. So, they did x-rays to see. They claim that if I have metal in my back and MRI could be detrimental to me. They did not see any fragments. I talked to the redioligist and told him I was told I do have this, so ....long story short, I have to return next Fri w/DVD showing fragments.
I then went to see the Neuro. We discussed the Micro'd on the L-5.I told him I am scared ! He says that it could take up to 1-1/2 years for foot mumbness to go away, if at all and Hopefeully I will regain some leg strength. The objective though is to lessen leg pain.I am nervous as hell but have no choice I can't go on like this!

• Hey Paul,

It's great to hear from you but sorry you are still having issues. How is everything going? I hope you are able to get an MRI so they can see what's going on. You've been waiting for so long. The longer you wait the higher the chance that, if you have nerve damage, it will take longer to heal and could possibly become permanent.

Did you find a doc to help with pain mgmt without giving you such a hard time?

Hope you are doing well with everything and keep in touch.
  • Ming..
    Thanks, The Doc says the nerve damage could take up to a year and a half to heal, if at all. My PCP is now helping me w/pain mgmnt. Methadone& Hydro's. I am doing well in the other area. How r u? Well I hope !
  • I am glad that you are doing well in all areas. Where you been? I don't see you on here too much. Do you know what the difference is between methadone and mscontin (morphine sulfate is generic)? I'm just curious cuz i'm on mscontin and it wears off after about 6 hours but is supposed to last 12.

I'm doing as good as can be expected. I just found out I have a failed fusion and 2 broken screws. I start aqua therapy tomorrow and was given a bone growth stimulator to see if that will help the bone to grow and fuse where they removed my disc. Doc says they won't do surgery to take out screws. I've also been advised to do my research on the SCS and am waiting for pain mgmt clinic to call me back. As you can imagine, I haven't been able to go back to work and still suffer from chronic pain.
  • A year and a half for nerve damage to heal? I am at the point that I don't think nerves will ever heal :(

Can I ask how long you've had nerve pain in your leg?

I only had nerve damage (numbness) for 2 days (the post op stuff) and I'm seriously thinking that I will never get the nerves back in that leg. Fortunately the shoots of nerve pain that I had pre-surgery are gone.

In my humble (in no way official medical opinion)I think any serious nerve damage needs to be addressed asap. The atrophy and charlie-horse cramps really really suck. Get it fixed and best of luck!
  • Michelle,
    I'm sorry to hear about your issues. I hope all goes well for you.I'm not real knowledgeable on med's so I can't say what the diff. is in the two..sorry.

Surgery for me is 4-8 Micro'd L-5.getting scared,but need it...

Best of luck to you..

• Paul,
    You will do well with your upcoming surgery, you just wouldn't be human if you are not scared or worried about surgery. I am happy to hear things are going well for you . Stay positive and you will be getting better very soon.
  • My prayers are with you Paul. I pray this will be the surgery you needed to relieve the pain you've been experiencing and then you can get on the road to recovery. I'm so proud of you for staying positive and pushing through the things you've been through lately.

Thank you for your concern regarding my recent diagnosis. I too will get through this with whatever means neccessary.

Keep in touch Paul.
  • Will do Michelle....

God bless

• Thanks Mark...Next Wed is approaching all too soon, but I'm ready(sort of)

• Good Luck on Weds. I hope it turns out well for you. Make sure to take a large garbage bag so you can put it on your seat of the car coming home. Makes it alot easier. It turns you in the seat so you dont have to twist. Good Luck and I will be saying a prayer for you.
  • Paul-
    You are on my prayer list. Hope everything goes well

• I never thought of that. Damn. I hurt myself the other day 7 weeks post-op trying to get out of my car and I have leather seats but I think a garbage bag would help me alot. I get embarrassed a bit because of how slow I am getting in and out of my car and I think I got a little careless accidentally. A grbage bag will help me slide better.