Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello to all of my fellow spineies out there. I have a few questions for everyone about some things I just noticed on my pre-op insurance report. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the following things mean. 1)Laminotomy is the first one, 2)Release of spinal cord is the second and the last thing is what is the difference between a spinal bone autograft and a spinal bone allograft. I found info on this stuff but do not understand it. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I hope that everyone is having a pain free day!

• The lamina is a bony structure in your spine that partially surrounds the disk. The doctor needs to remove a little piece of that bone in order to get to the disk. (Don't worry, you won't miss it.) That process is called a laminotomy.

I'm not sure about the rest of your questions. In a discectomy, the surgeon uses a tool to retract the spinal cord (get it out of the way) while he's working in there and then removes the tool when he's done. I don't know if that is what "release" is referring to. And I can't even begin to guess what the graft things are, but there is probably someone else on the forum who can help you.

What kind of surgery are you having, and for what part of the spine?
  • I am having my L5/S1 Fused. I had a dynamic fusion which consists of four screws and bungee cords done on June 13th of last year. My legs have recently started going numb really bad again all the way down to my foot. So with that first op not really working out for me doc gave me the option of either fusion, deal with the pain, or permanent morphine pump and since im trying to keep my military career i opted for the fusion.

• An autograft uses bone from your own body and an allograft uses bone from an outside source, like cadaver bone from a bone bank.

Sometimes some bone is harvested from the iliac crest. A small incision is made near the hip and a little bit of bone is harvested and used for the fusion. Many surgeons prefer this as the body easily accepts it and it almost always grows.

If a lot is required, a surgeon might use allograft or a combination of both.

Now many surgeons use BMP which is a genetically engineered synthetic grafting material that they mix with bone that is removed during surgery (like from the lamina that is removed to expose the disc).
  • Thank you all for clearing some of that info up for me, I appreciate it.

This discussion has been closed.