Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

words of "wisdom" from today's therapy session...

jeq1977jjeq1977 Posts: 87
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Depression and Coping
I'm having a really hard time dealing with chronic pain, so I started seeing a therapist. I really like her, and she's a student, so its free. Today she needed her professor to come in and "observe" a session as part of her certification requirements.

This woman was awful. She kept interrupting, asking me questions and offering unsolicited suggestions even though she was just supposed to sit there and listen.

She asked me to imagine what it would be like to "embrace" my pain. I told her that I could see what she was trying to say, but I didn't think it would work. I said "I'm angry at my pain, and I really don't want to give it a hug." She said, "Well, maybe that's what you need to do. Give your pain a hug, Jessica, hold it tight!"

So, my fellow chronic pain sufferers, we just need to hug our pain and hold it tight and we can all live happily ever after...

• embrace your pain, wow, exactly how would that work? You are hurting and you are supposed to give it a hug? Perhaps it would work if you used the hug >:D< to draw the pain in and kneed it in the crotch! @)

I'd say keep the student and fire the teacher! L)
  • That's just wonderful. Just what I want to do! Geez! I think I might have smacked her.

• Kumbaya kind of hug..

hmmmm...I would never do it,but I imagine my younger self punching her a good one-then shaking my fist at her and screaming,"hug it b****,go ahead embrace the fist before I punch you again-and wipe the blood off while yer at it,after all-you are the DR ;))

embrace it...I mean geez-she could have said "accept" or almost ANY other word,but embrace.She sounds like a couples therapist.They are always saying that the best thing to do in the middle of an arguement is give yer partener a hug,and that's bad enough (lol),but your partner is not pounding on yer body 24/7 like CP is-in that case the therapist would be saying you should "leave his ass."

Here is a case where the student should be teaching the teacher.Good stuff ... =D>
  • I rather like the term "find your center" as opposed to embrace the pain. I believe in giving yourself a hug when you're alone and I've heard of seeing your pain and light goes down your body and goes through your feet and soaking out the pain through your feet. Do this in the shower and rinse the pain away. As well having love and light in your life by saying "I'm getting better everyday" Distraction and imagery is one way of handling pain and stress in your life. Counting down from 10 slowly and take deep breaths while your counting down is a good way to release that stress and pain.
    That's a shame she kept interupting you as being a Therapist she should listen more. That's great you're helping your friend and also yourself at the same time while doing therapy. I had an online Therapist through my work and as much as they say it's confidential I only talked about work and not being able to do it and my husband trying to blame me for letting myself go and get big and hurt my back. So we only kept things light about family history and I felt good getting it out there. It seemed she wanted to wrap up things so early the seecond I was feeling better. I still feel the panic at not being able to ever go to work again maybe. It must be difficult for youto have bed only privligies. I'm glad you shared with us although I'm sorry I talked too much about my relaxation methods. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • The teacher needs to be taught what observing is first.

With all the pain we go through, to have a "professional" tell you to embrace your pain is over the top. In my current state of mind, I think I might have lifted my hand, made a fist, extended the middle finger, and said "embrace this you airhead". I don't think the teacher really understands chronic pain.
  • >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<

I feel better now! Everyone else too I hope!
  • I completely understand that I need to learn to accept the pain and try to overcome it, but "hug it and hold it tight?" I've been really negative and angry lately, that's why I went to therapy. I do want to get to the point where I can think positively and be productive despite the pain, but I am soooooo not there yet. I really did want to smack her! But at least it gives us something to laugh about.
  • I absolutely could not believe that you were actually told to "embrace" your pain. :jawdrop: WHAT A DWEEB!!!!!!!!!!!!!I have been in and out of counseling for 13 years (mostly for major depression) but the thought of embracing my depression is totally absurd!!!! Embracing something does not help a person deal with what they are going through. I think if it were me I would ask to have the teacher set in on another session and first show her all the responses you have received regarding her little suggestion and second I would spend the rest of the session putting her on the spot about dealing with chronic pain. I would want to know when the last time she experienced it was.

As an example: I have a friend that doesnt understand about panic disorder. I was explaining to him that a pre-arranged ride to take me to an appointment didnt show up and we had to reschedule the appointment. He got on his soap box and commenced to telling me that if the ride didnt show the second time I should put myself in my car and drive myself to the appointment (I have issues with driving in big cities). I let him go on and on without interuption and when he was finished I said I have only one thing to say in reply to what you just said. Naturally, he took the bait and asked what I would say to him. Knowing that he had never experienced any type of anxiety problem, I said "well first I would ask when the last time it was that you were scared to get behind the wheel of your car - wondering if today was going to be the day that you had another "extreme" panic attack. And when you answer me with never, I would simply tell you when you have walked a mile in my shoes then you can preach to me but until then, shut the F*** up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Maybe this teacher needs a healthy dose of reality and a wake up call.

Thanks for posting and allowing us to share the absurdity of the statement and giving us a laugh all at the same time.

• Embrace it! spoken by a person who has never had chronic pain! As a therapist she should know better than that. Like Jauque said, walk a mile in my shoes. Then you might be able to say something. Unbelievable.
    Hopefully you can discuss this with your therapist see what she says.