I am a 39 year old active male involved in a variety of sports. On Feb 20, 2009 I sustained a cervical injury playing hockey. I have a herniated disc at the C6-C7 level as well as a bulging disc at C4-C5 level. The herniation has affected my C7 nerve root. Initially I experienced excrutiating pain in my left arm. My forearm burned and I have numbness in my thumb, index finger and inside of my middle finger. Over the past 5 weeks my pain has subsided somewhat, unless I overdue things. However, I still have very little strength in my left arm (triceps area) and my left chest (pectoral) area. I can't even come close to doing one pushup. I was scheduled to have surgery on April 1 because I was having relief from the pain and thought I should give it more of a chance to heal. However, now I am concerned I made the wrong choice based on this continued loss of strength. My question is "Do I have a better chance of strength recovery from surgery than conservative methods" and "Have I waited too long already for surgery?".
Any thoughts would be more than helpful as this decision is killing me. I can get into surgery in May if need be.