Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Still nervous about surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My surgery is only weeks away and my mind is racing with all the what ifs. I am really concerned about the recovery process. What is it like to wear a brace? How do you get through 4 to 6 weeks without bending, twisting and lifting? The lifting I can handle, but how do you get dressed etc. without bending? Also, how to you handle the anxiety. I have cried daily since I scheduled this surgery a few days ago. I keep reading and reading information to make sure I am doing the right thing, and I still do not know. My pain is bad, but not debilitating. The main reason for surgery according to my neuro is stability issues. My main pain issue is in the right leg, and usually it is only really bad when I wake up. It seems like once I start moving around it gets better. On other days it hurts just to walk. I am so confused. I want to quit hurting, but from all that I have read I am thinking that I may still have pain and the surgery would have been a waste.

• It's only natural to be nervous, but if you've exhausted all avenues of trying to become pain free, then maybe you have to give the surgery a go. It's really not as bad as you think it will be. I'm heading back for surgery number 4 after we've tried everything else to relieve the pressure on nerves. This op for me is going to be more painful than the ALIF I had last year, the surgeon let me know, but I hate being on drugs 24/7 so have to give this a go. I don't have to have surgery as like you its not a life or death situation, but I really want to try and rid myself of this pain. Granted, it may not work, but at least I know I've given it my best effort. Try to look on the wearing of a brace etc as just an inconvenience for a few weeks.
    You dont mention what sugery your going in for, but there are many people on this forum who will have the same issues as you and had sucesses from surgery. I've had 2 Discectomies and finally a L5-S1 ALIF just over 12 months ago, which was a great sucess. I unfortunately still have ongoing nerve issues that has left my right sciatic nerve root with scar tissue from the previous Discectomies, hence another op to try and fix the problem. My surgery is scheduled for April the 21st, when is yours ?
    Your not alone here with your fears. If you are really so scared, contact your surgeon and tell them of your fears. They need to really sit down with you and explain all the pros and cons and then see how you feel about the prospect of a surgical remedy. Maybe also try to picture your life without the pain, that might also give you some strength.
    Chin up and think about waking up without the pain....its what keeps us all going :)
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hey pdavis,
    I understand your feelings, surgery is a very serious matter and has a huge impact on your body. But if this is a stability issue as my surgery was you need to move forward with a positive attitude and concentrate on getting stronger. If I had elected not to have my surgeries the risks of permanent serious damage would be life changing. There are no guarantees with any surgery and yes you still may have some pain and discomfort post-op. Talk with others that have had similar symptoms, ask you Dr as many questions you may have. I have never second guessed my decisions, I will have more decisions similar in the near future, but i still continue to have a pretty darn good life. Best of luck to you, keep us posted here with your journey, and please PM me if I can help you in any way.
  • I too have pain in the right leg. I am going to have my 2nd microdiscectomy this morning.

In regards to getting dressed--try to wear button down shirt so you won't have to reach above your head (or ask you doctor).

Use a grabber (Pik Stick) to help you pull up your pants.

I also lean against my bed to support me while getting used.
  • What kind of surgery are you getting? I am getting surgery in 2 weeks. a TLIF at L5-S1. You can see my diagnosis in my signature. I get sciatica in my right leg down to my ankle and into the bottom of my foot. I was freaking out the week before I saw my Dr. on March 27 to schedule the surgery, weird dreams and everything. But I have tried everything else and nothing has worked. Over the weekend when I was walking around a store and had to leave before I was done shopping because my back hurt I knew I made the right decision. I try not to think about all the freaky stuff (being in the hospital for the first time ever, getting metal put into my body blah blah blah) but think of how I will hopefully be living a pain free life after recovery. It's only been a year an a half for me and I don't even remember what its like to not have the pain. Like you my pain is not debilitating either which made me question whether or not I should go thru with surgery - I mean there are people out there in more pain than me why should I get it? I am not on pain meds, but have to take ibuprofen to get thru the day. But I can't live my life on medicine. I want to have kids and I couldn't imagine running around after a little one - I can barely run around after my dog right now! I am at the point where I am frustrated to tears over the annoyance of the pain. My neuro told me if I was to get prego without surgery my pain would be even worse, the slip could get worse and I could get permanent nerve damage.

I asked my Dr. about the no bendling lifting, or twisting, he said I will allowed to bend to sit down, and get out of bed (he was kinda funny he said you can't exactly get out of bed without bending unless you levitate out if it), but to pick something up off the floor use your knees instead of you back. Get one of those long handled grab it tools.

Did you ask your Dr. what he thought your chances of success were after the surgery? From what I have read and what my Dr. tells me, the longer you wait to have surgery the chance of success diminishes. Also remember most people who have had a successful surgery are no longer on these boards because they are pain free. Have you read any of the posts under the "Good News" forum?

I feel like we are in similar situations, send me a PM if you would like.