Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tolerance Issue..

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Pain Medications
:T I wonder how many people before me have been faced with this unfortunate issue: I have been on Norco 7.5 for the past 7 months and it gave me a new life...now I find I am taking more and more and getting nowhere fast! My primary has been prescribing and I hate to bring up this issue as I feel it is outside his treatment scope. I don't want to go back to the limitations I have had to endure before I got pain relief. In addition to my lower back and neck pain, I have ruptured tendons in both my ankles which will most likely have to be corrected surgically, so my pain issues are quite overwhelming at this point in my life. What can I switch to that will help (tramadol doesn't work on me) this level of pain without going to oxycodone? I'm praying for some 'pearls of wisdom' right about now! :T

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    that you should be able to bring up to your doctor and discuss options. The one thing NEVER to do is walk into your doctor and TELL them that you want a higher dosage of pain medications. No matter what kind of person you are, how noble, honest, etc, in today's medical environment many times that will throw up a red flag
    Instead when you are talking with your doctor, express to him/her that the medications you are currently taking no longer seem to be managing your pain level. I assume that this doctor is aware of your back and ankle situation, so in that case, I would just ask the doctor if there is anything else that he/she would recommend to help manage the pain.
    They may suggest physical or aqua therapy or a number of any other conservative treatments, and they might actually suggest switching over to either a higher dosage of your current pain medications or to another type. Many people have a bad picture of Oxycontin and other ER (extended release) medications. For people who are really in pain , those types are sometimes the only ones that will help in the situation.
    So bottom line, be honest, let them know you are hurting more and ask....
    Good doctors with clinical and people skills to go along with their medical skills will figure out the right thing to do for you
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I had that talk with my doctor like 6 months ago and he was fine with switching me I was on vicodin 10 mg for mare than a year and was up to 5 pills a day and was concered about the asprin in the vicodin so he switched me to oxycotin 10 mg 3x's a day and vicodin for break threw 2x's a day pretty much unless it's a bad one . Anyway I just explained the concern of the asprin and stomach problems and he was good and understood.good luck I hope you can get everything worked out ok.
  • I had the same issue with Norco 10's and I let my doctor know that it wasn't working like it used to. I had been on it for a very long time and it had lost its effectiveness. This is very common and doctors know it happens. My long acting medication (fentanyl) was raised first before changing me from Norco to Percocet. It all depends on how the doctor wants to approach the matter, and it also has to do with your current conditions.