Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Are there any success stories for PLIF L5, S1 surgery?

pepper09ppepper09 Posts: 138
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 12 days post-op (PLIF, L5, S1) and I am getting better every day. However, I am not pain free and still have a sensation down my right leg and sometimes pain on my right side that pulsates with my heartbeat once in awhile. I am hoping that this is just inflammation and will go away. I have a 2 week post op tomorrow and hopefully will get an X-ray that will reassure me that there are no loose disc fragments or herniated discs.

My stay in the hospital was a nightmare! I stayed 2 nights and was in so much pain and all I did was lay on the bed and kept asking for pain medication. Everyone that would come visit me would say that it was so cold in my room and I was sweating the entire time....my hair was wet from sweating...it was as if I had just gotten out of the shower...that's how much I was sweating. I was really getting on the nurse's nerves, but it was so painful the 2nd and 3rd day in the hospital. I was walking with a walker on the 3rd day and when I got home I was able to walk around the house and go upstairs and it was like I got almost 100% better at home.

Anyway, a lot of people that have had 1 back surgery usually get 2, 3 or 4 more. This is my second and I just pray that this is my last surgery.

• hello,
    today I am 6 weeks post op from a 2 level plif L4 L5 S1 and I think I am doing great. I havent taken any pain meds since the first week. I went grocery shopping last week. Yesterday I went and got my haircut. I still ice my back when I get home and put heat on it before I go to sleep but I am really pleased so far. If you have any questions, feel free to ask...
  • I am 51 and almost 3 month post surgery. Been home and in brace for the duration with no bending, twisting, lifting. I go for my 3 month check up on 6-1. I went online and googled for success stories because after enduring the HORROR story pain initially after surgery and now as time drags the fear of 'will this ever improve' really can take over.

My reason for surgery resulted from a fall Dec 2007 on ice. A synovial cyst formed, pressing on the nerves to my right leg. My world slowly became smaller and smaller as the pain increased until I gave up the last of my activities by Feb of 2009. I couldn't walk more than a few hundred feet without needing to stop and bend over to stretch my leg out to relieve the nerve pain in my low back and down my leg. In Feb I tried an injection and the result was paralysis of my right leg,actually drop foot and had to drag my leg around for a few days until it disipated. Great results for about 5 weeks after that and I almost felt normal for that short time. The DR said no more because the nerves were just too compressed and the fluid of the injection caused dangerous risk of permanent nerve damage.
    The original plan was remove the cyst only but my disc was blown and required spacer and fusion. DR said the nerves to my leg were compressed to a very thin strand of spagetti.
    Anyway...all that pain that caused the surgery is totally gone. I can walk for miles without pain. My probelm is the stiffness, and terrible back spasms. Just trying to roll out of bed takes alot of time and fortitude to deal with the pain and some weakness in my legs on rising. Once I endure I am in great shape.
    I am so happy to hear others have the same surgery pains and if I have to wait 6 months to a year for those to improve I can deal. Thanks for the site and the success stories. If you just google for L5S1 you get lots of horror stories.