Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need Help- can't urinate

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Chronic Pain
My surgery is in 6 days, & I'm trying not to have to take anymore new meds until after surgery. Now, on top of everything else, I'm having some real trouble urinating. It's been "slow-going" for awhile, but now it is taking a very long time to pee, and it doesn't feel like I'm "emptying" everything.
The only pain from this is from the pressure (it's adding to the back pain) }:) , there's no burning or infection. Also, I am drinking PLENTY of water.
Is there any way to help this 'naturally"?
I'm hoping (or maybe wishing) 8> that these lovely side-problems will disappear after surgery.
Thanks in advance for any advice, and for the oppurtunity to vent...

• You need to go to the emergency room ASAP. Anytime your spinal conditions causing complications with your bladder or bowels it is very serious. Please listen to my advice and go to ER or atleast contact your doc ASAP to see if that's what you should do.
  • Please keep me updates as to how you are doing. My prayers are with you.
  • Thank you for the advice... (now I'm a little worried) do you think it would be a problem to wait until tomorrow? I have my pre-op vist both of my surgeons tomorrow.
  • Hi and welcome here, I have had this problem both ways. but this is much different for you, if this is a new issue just call your doc and let him know.....
    I have to self cath my self ever so often so believe me I know what you are going through.
    also we have spine issues and that doesn't make things better
    hopefully this is happening because you are a nervous wreck about surgery. which happens alot. Please P.M. me if you would like.
    All my words are just opinions gotta watch them p's and q's
  • I agree with Patsy that you should at least call your doc's office. This will help ease your fear and concern and what if's. If it's serious then he will be able to direct you to your next move.

Best of luck and God bless.
  • Thank you both for the advice. I did call ... Unfortunately I had to leave a voice mail with the nurse. Now I'm just waiting on a call back.
  • If you're going to wait until tomorrow, you might try sitting in a hot tub and seeing if that loosens things up. I know it's kind of gross to have to sit in your own urine if it works, but if it works it would be worth it.

• WOW! They finally called back. I was told that the dr will probably give me something tomorrow @ my pre-op appt., so it will be ok to wait. They did tell me that if I start to have ANY cramping at all, to get to the ER.
    Thank you to everybody for helping to keep me calm. >:D<
  • I'm happy for you... Patsy
  • you need to see a doctor .i know that sometimes the drugs can make us on a go slow ..so to speak.. but if you carnt finish and feel any pressure or pain best get sorted out.
  • Hope that you find out things are OK for you tomorrow. Are you doing OK? Been praying for you.
  • I am overwhelmed at the concern that has been shown to me in just the couple of days since I've joined. It truly means the world to me...
    One of the biggest things I'm grateful for is that I've found out that most of my problems can be directly related to my back issues. I feel like there really is hope. I'm only 39 yrs old, and the last few years, I've felt like 93 yrs old. It's nice to think that there is actually a possibility that some of this #!%?"* can be fixed.
    I will post again tomorrow after the pre-op appt. Again, THANK YOU EVERYBODY! O:)
  • I'm so glad you called your doc. I'm sure this set your mind at ease. Sorry to scare you, however, I've read that these issues can be serious. I'm glad you took our advice and did call. I haven't had any of these issues (knock on wood) so far. I do suffer from IBS-constipation even before I was on all these meds and it's only gotten worse.

Ok, enough potty talk lol. Yes, please give us an update after you have your appt.

Isn't it great seeing all the people that understand what you are going through and really do care. I remember when I first posted and I got responses right away. It was so encouraging to see all the responses and knowing that others cared about my wellbeing. I still get teary eyed reading all the responses to some of my posts regarding something that I was very upset about and needed the help and support at that time.

Feel free to PM me with any questions, comments, concerns or you just need to vent or chat.
  • Just so you understand why people are telling you to go to the ER or call your doctor ASAP is because of the possibility for "Cauda Equina Syndrome."

Cauda Equina Syndrome
    A large disc herniation in the lumbar region can result in cauda equina syndrome in which a herniated disc compresses on the nerve roots in the area, causing severe low back pain, bladder incontinence and loss of motor and sensory function in both legs.
    Patients with the above symptoms should seek immediate medical attention. (from Spine Health)

This is one of the few conditions where emergency spinal surgery is performed. (Most spinal surgeries are considered "elective.") The nerves are badly compressed when a patient develops CES. Prompt attention is required to free up the nerves or the damage can be permanent.

You might want to drink cranberry juice to help guard against infection until you have your surgery.

Good luck. Let us know what your surgeon advises.
  • Finally made it back from all the appts. today- I am sooooo exhausted. I will probably sleep pretty good tonight!
    Anyway, I got fitted for my brace today, and for some strange reason, wearing it seems to help the urination problem :??
    Everything went well w/ all the pre-op testing: I'm good to go for the 7th B) I also found out today that my doctor has ordered all the "supplies" that I will need for at home after surgery (Toilet riser, shower chair, dressing aids, etc.) Whatever my insurance doesn't pay for will be taken care of by a program that I evidently qualify for :O He's even ordered me a new bed! I am truly blessed.
    Thank you to all for the concern. Keep in touch, and I'll post again soon. I've got to go to bed!
This discussion has been closed.