Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 weeks post-op and some problems/concerns

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi. I'm 5 weeks post-op from a multi level laminectomy/discectomy (L4, 5 & S1) without any instrumentation and have been doing well overall. Woke up from surgery and was elated that radiating nerve pain to legs was gone. Have been walking daily since day after surgery. First 2 weeks were pretty great.

I had a bit of a set-back with a sneeze about 2 weeks ago, which landed me in bed for 3 days. Have since been put back on another 2 week round of muscle relaxants and pain meds (myolastin and diclofenac) and am about 1/2 a week into it. Reflexes in my legs were not that great at follow-up and doctor says if not better in 2 weeks, need to go for another MRI to see if perhaps I've re-herniated something (and who knows what that would mean for me - surgery again?)

I have started recently experiencing pain/soreness in my hips/legs (mostly left) and as from today am having extreme muscle tightening in both legs, lower and upper back. My legs, mostly in thigh area have started feeling sore to the touch. almost as if there were bruising (which I can't see). Have also noticed that after sitting for a while, in certain positions, my hip area and or legs will go to sleep, which I think has something to do with the nerves. Am also having issues sleeping, mainly due to what can only be described as something close of restless leg syndrome, but have also noticed the tingly/sleeping sensation as well.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience this same thing or can shed any light on any of this for me.

• Hi jd,

I think if it were me, I would be pushing for the MRI. at least then you'll know if it is disc related again or something different. I had a Discectomy at L5-S1 and 3 weeks later it re fragmented, this time totally squashing and pinning the sciatic nerve....not fun. I know the thought of a 2nd op so soon isn't that appealing lol, but no point beating around the bush and trying to deny it. The sooner you get on top of it the better.