Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello i have recently been diagnosed with chiari malformation and syringomelia which explains the extreme pain i have been in for the past two years. My doctors told me it was from the two herniated disk i also have in my thorasic. I was wondering if any body has some pain relief solutions in the mean time. I don't care what it is at this point i just need relief. I have five kids and a mortgage and need to function. The pain causes me a great deal of stress because it slows me down too much. I know that i have to take it some what easy but some days i don;t even want to get out of bed. I am a full tiem student trying to earn my masters in sociology and the clock is ticking.

• What type of pain are you having? I get the horrible CM headaches. I do not have SM that I know of. My Thoracic is the only part of me that hasn't had an MRI. Sometimes I think no news is good news. Maybe give us a little more info about the type of pain that you're having and we can help. I was also ran off the road by a semi so I've had ACDF surgery which only complicates things and causes pain that is not typical of CM or SM. You can post here or PM me and I'll be glad to see what I can offer. I know of some great natural solutions and typical CM and SM meds that you should be taking. Why has your doctor not prescribed anything? Sorry I know you came here looking for answers and all you get from me is more questions but it would help to know the answers.
  • Hi, thanks for the reply. I am having terrable noting like pain just between my shoulder blades, but I also have two herniated disk in the thorasic area. I also have very sharp and cramping like pains in my upper neck. i have just been diagnosed with CM and SM and still have a bunch more testing to do because so far all i have done is an MRI. The MRI was for my herniated disk and thats how they saw the srynex and that lead on to another MRI which confirmed the syrnex and then also the CM. The next step is an MRI of my entire head and then to a neurologist. I have a pain clinic appointment in the end of June. My Primary doctor does not seem to have a sincire care for my health, so i am in the process of finding a new one.
  • I had to explain CM to my Primary care doctor. She just stared at me blankly when I told her I had been diagnosed. I showed her pictures of my MRI and now she is MUCH more sympathetic. She's also done her homework and is prescribing my Midrin which keeps my headaches tolerable and my Neurologist keeps an eye on my CM. If I were you I'd find a new Primary doc and fast because CM and SM can wreak havoc on your spine and turn bad fast. If you go to asap.org those ladies over there have a database of great doctors in every state who are versed in CM and SM and will make sure you're being referred to a Neurologist who understands. Even many of them are ignorant about these conditions. I had one who basically gave me a sobriety test and then wrote me a prescription for an ugly drug which I can't recall at the moment and told me to come back in 30 days if I was still have headaches. I marked him off my list fast. A couple of things that can't possibly hurt are taking extra Magnesium is good for muscle spasms and I know someone who has lived with SM for over 10 year and has never taken any prescription drugs for it and the only surgery he's ever had had to do with gallbladder. He recommends something called DHEA. You can google it and find it on the internet. I was always a little skeptical of it but I had good pain meds back then too. You might want to read up about it. But the Magnesium was a life saver for me when I was having horrible spasms. My choice of pain reliever for my muscle pain remains my good ole heating pad. I will send you a PM and see if I can hook you up with Graham. He's great! He can give you TONS of advice. He may sound kooky at first but believe me when I tell you he was such a great reassurance after I was diagnosed I don't know what I would have done without him.
This discussion has been closed.