Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone have a fusion and have a toddler at home?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Anyone have a fusion and have a toddler at home?

I am in bad shape right now and I am considering an anterior lumbar fusion on 3 discs that my orthopedic surgeon recommended. In fact, I have already decided to do it but waiting on insurance approval.

The biggest concern I have right now is that I have a very physical and brawny 2 year old boy and I am a stay at home mom. My husband works 4 nights a week and then has 4 days off so I am really concerned about how I am going to take care of my son the days he works. I have family and friends willing to come and help me but I really don't have any idea how long I really need help with him.

Has anyone been in this situation or something similar? What have you done? Do you have any advice for me?

• I am having a 360 lumbar spinal fusion in the morning (wow that's only 8 hours away) and I to have a 13 month old and a 5 year old... I have my mom staying with me to help... My Dr. told me I would need the help for at least 6 weeks seeing I will not be able to bend or left up on anything.. Plus I have PT 3 times a week for 3 to 4 months... So my mom will be helping for a while... I would get a list of the people willing to help and my a chart with who can help on what days because you will really need the rest... I can't even begin to think about how hard it is going to be not to be able to play around with my babies but I just keep telling myself how much better it will be in the long run... I will keep you updated on how quickly things start to get back to normal as for as being a mom... Good luck with your surgery...
  • you will need help for quite a while with a 2 year old. They dont understand why you cant pick them up. I have a 8 month old grandaughter and it has been hard not being able to pcik her up. But you find ways of dealing with it. I want to wish you luck. I had a two level PLIF in Dec and it is a long recovery, but think of how much better you will be afterward and the joys of being able to enjoy yours kids and thier activities so much more. I hope you get your approval soon. Any questions, please let me know. I will be waiting to hear how it is going.
  • Thanks for the advice! I know that by the time my son is three I should be better than I have been in a long time and it will be worth it. I surely am not doing all the things with my son that I wanted to do and I would be a much better mother if I wasn't in a drugged stupor all the time.

I do have people who are willing to help so that is a relief. My son is going through the terrible two's which is challenging for me now when I am not physically capable all of the time. I am blessed with a supportive friends and family who want to help out because they know how big Noah is and they feel like he could be dangerous to me with his fits while I am trying to heal from a three level fusion. He is 35 pounds and needs anger management! LOL

Angela: I hope your surgery went well today!