Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How to ease cervical pain at home?

Serenity6SSerenity6 Posts: 123
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have an interesting question and I hope that I get several responses. :SS

What are techniques that you have used to help ease the pain from cervical discs degeneration and nerve irritation?
Sometimes medication may not help and a person has to figure out a way to take the edge of the pain. My medicine does not help me at all and I woke up this morning with pain in my neck, shoulders, chest, and arm. It is raining this morning, which could be a factor but some people may give me some insight on what worked for them. =D>

I central discs bulging @ C3, C4, & C6. I have anterior discs protrusions with anterior and superior deformity of the thecal sac , in which is touching my spinal cord. They say their is no nerve being touched. My family doctor and chiropractor begs to differ because all the symptoms point to it. :W

It you could give me some simple suggestions, I would greatly appriciate it! =D> >:D<

Have a wonderful Day! :H

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Hope you get a bunch of suggestions cause I'd like to know that too! I know how you feel. I have no good ideas for this other than heat or ice. If you're like me, you get tired of trying either of them since they don't really help. I do all the stretches and exercises like at PT. That doesn't help either. Sorry, I'm not much help am I? Hope you get some good ideas and hope you feel better soon and have a good day.
  • The only thing that I have found is medications, both muscle relaxers and strong pain medicine. Also ice. I have found nothing else that has worked. I know that people have good luck with epidural steroid shots and nerve blocks.

I'm at my wits end about my own cervical neck pain. So far, surgery has not eased up the pain. I know I need to give it more time, but my pain is not being managed at home.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    I know what it feels like to have cervical pain prior and after surgery. And as was stated, the pain medications do not always help reducing some of your pain. Please keep in mind, that no pain medications are going to eliminate your pain, only help you manage it.
    I believe in the Blend

I have also had good success using the following home treatments:
    - Moist warm heat wrapped around my neck and down towards the base of my neck. If you dont have the store bought pads that can be used, get a small towel, soak it, put in the microwave for a couple of minutes, take it out, wrap it in another bigger towel and use it on your neck. Caution do not heat the towel too long, it could burn your skin.

- Relaxation techniques. Find a room in your house where you can be quiet. Purchase or download one of the many relaxation music CDs. I have a couple from Thailand, that really can calm you. Just lie down on the floor with the warm towel under you neck and listen to the music. Try blocking out all outside interferences

- Aroma Therapy. This can be added to the music relaxation.
    There are so many different types of essential oils. You can go online and look for some. Many offer blends for specific situations (ie Calm, Muscle Relaxation, Sleep, etc)
    Use with a candle or power diffuser.

These are just some things that I have found over the years to help manage my pain levels
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Like PapaRon, I used (and still use) heat on the back and base of my neck. It's very relaxing.

Before my surgery, home traction was my savior. Not the over-the-door kind, but one where you lay on the floor and put your neck in the thingy then use a pump to move the thingy to approx. 15 lb. of pressure. I swear I could've stayed in that thing forever it felt so good. But, as you can see, it was not a permanent fix - surgery was inevitable.

Now, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, if your spinal cord is being compromised, what in the world is your surgeon wanting you to waiting for? Maybe it's just me and I don't wish surgery on anyone, but if there is spinal cord impingement it seems like it would be time for a very close look at getting your spine taken care of. JMHO.

• I got some good responses. I really appreciate you all for giving me some of your techniques. I will try these and maybe someone else will benefit from them also.

Thank you all! >:D<

Again, if anyone has anything else they would like to add, please do so! <:P

Have a wonderful day!:)
  • For pain meds- I am on a Fentanyl patch that gives me the best & most consistent relief. I also use the flexeril when I feel I really need it & an anti-inflammatory med.

I agree with Cath- I have the same home traction device that she describes. ( Insurance covered it! Yahoo!!) I too wish I could be in it all day!! LOL I also use the TENS unit!

I also found a nice, light neck heating pad from Walgreens that ButterflyPain- Jen told me to get.Thank you Jen :) - I love it!! I also use a heating pad on my shoulder.

I also suggest taking the time to take a nice, hot bath. I used to always take showers as I was so used to trying to fit them in when the kids were young. Now, I make time for a hot bath! I find that anything that relaxes the muscles around my neck & shoulder give my pain a break.

I wish u all the best with your neck!!

glo :)
  • Not exactly an at-home help, unless you are rich, LOL. A Full length tanning bed. Relaxes the muscles, the warm heat is great. Was originally the reason I starting tanning! Usually I also take a relaxation tape with me, and come out in 20minutes feeling much better. My ex got our tanning bed, so now I have to go out to use one. Take care, warm showers help me too, and a massager, if you have someone who can use it on you. Too awkward(sp) to try to use on yourself. Anything you can do to help lower your stress levels will help.

• Good question!
    It really is, as it is a problem that we all have.
    Medication can help, but not all pain is well treated this way.
    From what I can gather, there is no prescribed path, we each have to try a multitude of things to try and find the best things (if we are lucky).
    This can mean a drawn out period of trial and error as it can take a while to really test a new treatment, and there are usually lots of day to day variables to confuse it even more.
    With nerve pain, meds are often inadequate. PT may not do much either, and sometimes all you can do is twist an arm or find a position with the neck that somehow allows a bit of relief.
    I tend to feel now that you may need an arsenal of things to use, perhaps in isolation, other times all at once!
    I now have a comfy and supportive recliner-at my 3rd attempt.
    We have a new latex KS mattress with a soft top layer.
    I have an adjustable contoured pillow that I can change around easily.
    I have an electric wool covered heat pack.
    I use muscle relaxants, Mobic and Tramal, plus other codeine types for the bad nerve pain.
    I avoid lying on couches. I avoid using any seating that is too low or has bad design.
    I rest my neck frequently throughout the day.
    I keep my PC time to a minimum (nearly up!).
    I do a set of gentle stretches and muscle exercises most days.
    I'm going to have a hot bath more often, too.
    On the really bad days I will take a bit of everything and go to bed. Sometimes the pains are from a different source and may need different meds.
    So if the Tramal isn't doing it after 1-2 hours, I will take a codeine med and a muscle relaxant. Seems to eventually work but can last 6 hours or more before any relief.
    Too sick to even get grumpy. I just fade off to bed.
  • to see so many people share what works for them. I really believe that all of you on this site will help me cope through all the pain. O:)

Thank You and keep 'em coming! =D>