Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why do I need to know all what Dr's know but they don't tell you??

ellineellin Posts: 188
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am sooooo confused about my back. I went to the nurosurgon and was told that because I have so much arht. I am not the one for surgery. I was told to set an appt to start the process on the spinal cord stim. I was kinda happy about something being done to get out of this pain but, know I have more info and wished I had this when talking to the nurosurgon. OK yes my back has 5 hern. disc, tear, DJD on it goes so, WHY NOT have me take a discogram or EMG??????????? I do not get it. I havetalked to a nuro Dr. years ago and was told I need surgery and when talking with a Dr's office yesterday she said he should never have said that because he is not a surgon. So, I still have my appt. with the Dr. on the 17th of April to go over the s.c.s and really do not want to go but, will. I come to the terms that I am not ready for this without all my questions answerd that I know have thanks to all of you. I can't understand why a nurosurgon will say you have to much arth in your back for surgery. How does he know that the arth. is the one causing the pain???????????? My brother friend had back surgery last week and feels good now. She went for a injection one only than the Dr. orderd a EMG and now she went in for a mirodisectomy found out the one disc was causing her problem. SO, I have five just in the lower back so who knows if one of them are keeping me in pain. My thing is why get something done if I do not feel I am ready. I have to send in my MRI and report to this new nurosurgon to see what he says He will not see me if he feels he can not help me he also does brain surgery. OH BOY maybe from all the stress he can give me some extra brain power from what I have lost from all the Dr's and ? OK maybe not that funny. I feel second opnion is good and maybe a third. What do you all think???

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Sorry you're having so much trouble. I just wanted to share that my neurosurgeon told me that "she would be afraid to do surgery on my neck because I have so much arthritis above and below where she'd do the fusion". I don't get it either. I've read about a lot of people with arthritis having surgery. I hope someone can help you with the answers. Good luck.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    views from different doctors. Doctors generally use their clinical examination to look at what potential problems there are and based on that , they will continue to set up other diagnostic tests (MRI, EMG, Discogram, etc).
    Some of these test results are clear cut and pretty much tell the picture. But keep in mind, these tests are not always 100% accurate and also one doctor can read an MRI Image and suggest course A, while another doctor suggests course B.
    You always want to get a second opinion to see if there is a consensus in your treatment plan. And if there is a difference, then go seek a third opinion.
    I have read so many posts here where members talk about their doctors indicating that surgery is not recommended. What I would like to know and I am sure each member wants to know, is WHY does that doctor take that position?
    Sure, having a lot of arthritis can be considered. Having surgeries can just bring on arthritis sooner and more severe. So, some doctors would shy away from operating on someone who has a lot of arthritis. But that is one opinion. In addition to my spinal problems, I have been developing shoulder problems over the years. I have major arthritis in both shoulders and the Orthopedic doctor wants to to a complete shoulder replacement. His rationale was because the arthritis was causing the problems. So, you can see that different doctors have different opinions.
    You owe it to yourself to get all the information you can from the doctors and make sure that there is some consistency in their approach to helping you.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi Ellin. I'm sorry you're going through this. PapaRon is so right about us wanting to know why a doc takes the position of no surgery. I just don't get it. I have a lot of arthritis in my neck and got a 3-lvl ACDF. Why was I a candidate for surgery and not others?

Like everyone one else that's posted here, I also believe that you should keep getting more opinions until you're comfortable with the final outcome. Not necessarily surgery, but when you find the right doc/surgeon, you'll know it.

Take care.
  • if neurosurgeons tend to refuse more cases than ortho. surgeons.I think neurosurgeons make have more of a God complex and hate failure - he probably considers you a higher risk for failure since you have so many areas/causes of potential pain that even if one area treated is successful another one will cause you pain and you will be miserable that you went through the surgery. Treating 5 discs is unrealistic. Definitely get a second, third opinion; if the SCS trial helps, I would consider that. Remember chances are you will never be the same after surgery - have some loss of mobility, or even a chronic lower grade pain from hardware; and there is significant risk involved including permanent nerve damage etc. do you have a decent pain management doc.?
  • I thank you all so much. I do have a PM Dr. and it seems that I have to tell him things I hear on this site to try. Terrible. The April 17th appt. is at Mayo in the PM dept. so I will just go to keep finding out more of what they all tell me. Only thing is this $50 co-pay is killing me. I tho would rather pay the fifty than go down a wrong path. I am going also to send in My MRI to this nurosurgon and see if he wants to see me or not. If not I will go to one that will see me and know with all the info I have from here I can write down questions for the surgon and reply to his comments. Will keep you all posted.