Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I feel good! Second time around on Microdiscectomy

LovinggardenerLLovinggardener Posts: 494
Today is Day 2 of PostOp and I feel good. I think having gone through this before makes me feel more confident. Feeling confident allows me to have a positive outlook and I believe that optimism will help me in my recovery.

I went for a walk around the block and even put on make-up which I haven't done in months.

• That's great news, but a word of warning: DO NOT GET CARRIED AWAY!! Give yourself a good two weeks of really taking it easy. Do not be in a rush to do all those things you have not been able to do while you were in pain! Too many people make this mistake and end up paying the price.

Take this time to do little but rest and walk. Then you will have your whole life ahead of you to do everything else.

I'm very happy for you. A positive attitude is very important. While you are resting, watch some movies that make you laugh. Laughter helps with the healing process.

xx Gwennie
  • Great news! I'm so happy for you...I've been reading your posts and I know you know better than to over do things. Its wonderful to "hear" you feeling hopeful and without pain.
  • I am taking it easy. I walked around the block twice. Since my husband teaches at a local university, I had to feed the dogs (kept my posture and squatted). Too bad I couldn't use my grabber.

Tonight I am going to listen to some good music and write student reports (lying on my back).

I cannot go through this again because the next step is fusion. One thing that is difficult--doing the log roll and pulling myself up. That hurts my incision site.

I have noticed a slight ache around my ankle, but I am not going to get too worried unless it starts to throb.

thank you for your support. I want to this time around to be a success story.
  • I think its safe to say we all want it to be a success!
  • Well...still feeling pretty good. My back at the incision site is sore. Ice is my friend. I used to hate ice for pain, but knowing that it helps with the inflammation, now I love it. I have around six soft gel-like ice packs. The hospital gave me two super size ones (one of them I like better because it's the soft jelly like).

The dull ache around me ankle is gone. However, I have slight burning along the inner calf and upper thigh. When I log roll to sit up, I feel a sharp pain in my buttocks. All the discomforts are felt when I am lying down. When I am moving (meaning walking), I don't feel any pain.

So far so good. I am taking it easy as Gwennie and Nancy have reminded me. ;)

Thank you all for your support!

• After my 2nd surgery, my surgeon said that the L5s1 disc was very degenerated. And possibly I will need a fusion. I can't get that statement out of my mind. I wish that he said that later when I did have a problem. He said the fusion could have in a month or when I'm 80.

I am being careful as possible. I don't pick anything off the floor..l just have to walk away. My little puppy (got her before the back issue) is getting no attention and potty training is off. She gets it 80% of the time. My old dog is waddles. I wonder if she is in pain. She is overweight and has very short legs. My old cat just whines.

Sorry I am ranting!

I am having a weak moment!!!! Arggghhhh! I feel pain in right buttock when I roll over.

I need to get hold of myself.
  • I also had a laminectomy (similar to your surgery, I think). Pain was good until I started moving around. Then the leg pain was there. It seemed like after 2 weeks, the leg pain started to go away - gradually though. I had a MRI about 1 1/2 weeks post-op, and it showed swelling due to surgery. So, don't worry too much. The swelling around the nerve, and the fact that the doctor moved the nerves around during surgery probably made them irritated. Even when I had a nerve block done (injection right into my S1 nerve root), I had more severe leg pain than normal for a full 2 weeks.

Not that I'm a doctor or anything - just letting you know that what the doctor did to your back could've irritated things TEMPORARILY. It doesn't mean your surgery didn't work. Also, just keeping your back straight while squatting, bending, etc. could definitely prevent another rupture, so it sounds like you're doing everything right.

I had a laminectomy last May of 08. Four months after slowly improving, I hurt myself again - I think. The right leg pain came back. So, that is why I'm here, trying to find out how to deal with my pain and what tests to have done, etc.

Anyway, try to cheer up. If it's only been a few days since surgery, you have a great chance of gradually improving. I'll keep you in my prayers.

• Today is a new day! I am in a better frame of mind. My physical therapist told me to tighten my abs when doing the log roll and that has helped.

It just sucks to get a negative news from the dr when you just get of surgery. Couldn't he have waited?

Anyway, I read on the board and perhaps from Gwennie about a new procedure called AxiaLIF (minimally invasive fusion) and it's done in the lower back. My back problem is at L5S1, I have been searching to find someone who can do it. There is a place where I live who(could be more than one) can perform this new procedure. I am not sure if my insurance would pay for it, but I feel better knowing that I have choices in taking care of myself.
  • I too was told the same thing but this was before my second Lami/Disk that he only does two conservative surgeries before the fusion. Unfortunately, I ended up with the fusion and he made sure I knew it was nothing I had done wrong. My disk had just had it.
    As far as the fusion goes I have an opinion for you. Because you have had two previous surgeries, like I had, and remember you may never reach the fusion part, but my surgeon said he could not use a minimally invasive procedure because of all the scar tissue. As a matter of fact he went in from the front and back to make sure vision of the whole thing was possible. From the back he just removed the scar tissue again.
    I too want you to give yourself time to rest and recover. There is no hurry in getting around your blocks. I hope this works for you and that fusion never enters your vocabulary. Stay positive and take it slow.
  • did you have your second microdisc in like 2 months? If so, on the same disc?
  • I had my first on 3/4/09 and the second on 3/31. I am requesting for my medical records to get more opinions. It's taking a while.
  • I read on DDD section about losing all the jelly-like substance in a disc and still be able to go on without surgery.

Were you in pain because you had injured your disc? My doc wants me to walk much as possible. I am only walking as much as I can take it. If I feel tired, I return back to my house. I want to be in the group that have 80% success rate. How can I join? What are the membership requirement?

How are you after the fusion? I don't want a fusion, but if it is in my stars (hehe), I would rather get it now since I am off until the next school year. i don't want to lose my job. I would have the whole summer to recover in the fabulous humid, scorching heat in Texas. Sounds lovely?!
  • You are really anticipating the worst, aren't you? It's been 4 days since your surgery....you are not doing everything you can to heal from this surgery if you are already fretting about something that might happen some day in the future.

Surely you didn't expect to have MAJOR surgery and to feel 100% better in a matter of days? This is never going to happen, regardless of how many surgeries you have. Each future surgery becomes that much more difficult and the chances for damaging scar tissue increase exponentially.

Sorry to sound like a cranky old aunt to you, but I really think you have unrealistic expectations.

Regarding the log rolling, you should be tightening your abs before doing just about any movement -- getting a dish out of a cupboard, any reaching activity (which you should not be doing right now anyway!!), getting up from a chair, lying down on a bed, etc. That is what will protect your spine.

Your muscles are weaker now that you have had two surgeries. You have put your body through two traumas. It is going to take awhile for you to heal, to get things back to functioning normally, to regain your strength, etc. This requires a great deal of patience -- probably more than everything else you've ever done in your life.

Try to relax and rest and think positive thoughts! Let go the idea of having more surgery...at least for awhile.

xx Gwennie
  • I just need to delete and put my doctor's words in the recycle/trash bin.

Om, Om, Om
  • I woke up one day and had that feeling and my disk had herniated number one. Number two happened probably when they took me off the operating room table because when I woke up I knew it had re-herniated. Number 3 same knife in the hip feeling hit about a month after that surgery. I still had some disk left but the nerve was being damaged from the compression. I had suffered foot numbing/pain after number one. Number 4 came after fusion to release scarred down nerves. All within 11 months was tough recovering from, especially with the chronic pain and numbing in my foot.
    My back feels good now. I am just trying to get my foot back.
    I do understand your planning and thinking about timing, but the fusion was a lot harder to recover from.
    I wanted the 80% group too. I tried to do everything right to get in but never made it. My doctor told me I can't live worrying about what might happen. He was right. All things work out even though it may not be in "our timing".
    Stay positive and go slow and steady. You don't always have to go farther than you did the last time. I think just moving helps a whole lot. Good luck.
  • I just need to turn off my surgeon's voice in my mind! He shouldn't have mentioned the F-word so soon in the PostOp room.
  • I know turning off my doctor's or surgeon's voice would not be an easy thing to do. I lived every day wondering when it (needing the fusion) was going to happen. Some would say I brought it on myself then. Lol
    So to give you a laugh, I was in my surgeon's office waiting for him to come in and deliver an opinion of the most recent MRI at that time. (note: he thought I already had seen the report) So he walks in, in his usual jolly self way and says to me "so are you ready for your fusion?"
    My jaw fell open, and I said what????????? Then he went white and said didn't you see the report yet (normally I would have)? hope you are laughing.
    Oh well I tried ....... I guess you had to be there.
    You are doing well. Just take each day at a time. Take time to heal and be kind to yourself.
  • Yesterday was another good day. My husband encouraged me to get of the house. We went to Office Depot and to a pet store to buy dog food. Not being able to drive doesn't allow me to see a lot people. I glad that I got out.

The pain at the incision site is getting much better. Rolling off the couch is not as painful. The pain in the right buttock is lessened if I remember to tighten my abs. Getting on and off the bed and couch is much easier than the first few days.

My fingers are itching to work in the garden. I see my neighbors replacing the winter flowers with colorful spring flowers. Next weekend, I want to go to the arboretum near our house to lift my mood and exercise.

• I am with you on the flowers. My poor garden is going to be neglected once again. Don't over do it. Take everything in baby steps. Keep getting better!

• Oh....no....the coughing has started again. I took a pill called Tesslon for coughing. I hope that it will work soon.
  • Ease off the coughing by placing a air purifier and humidifier. My doc asked me to take 3 warm baths everyday. It helped a little, making it easier to breathe.

My garden is in a mess now. Weeds are growing everywhere. I am with you on the garden part, but it requires a lot of bending and pulling. So don't attempt to do it. You are still recovering from a 2nd lam. The garden will still be there when you get well. Wishing you the best, Teach.
  • The gardening has to be put off....or I can get my husband to plant some colorful flowers. Impatiens do wonderful in our shady front yard.

I am also trying find a handyman because my husband is too busy/tired to get anything done. Being in the house all the time, you notice things that need to be fixed.

The coughing subsided, but I will get a humidifier. I do have a air purifier( a large one) just to clean the air.

Last night the old burning started behind my knee. It was along the outer edge of the right knee and now the pain has moved to the inner side of the knee.

• The burning has moved to inner calf. This time the pain doesn't linger which makes me happy.

What does the burning feeling indicate?
  • Probably the burning is nerves healing...don't you think? That's what a lot of the posts here seem to indicate. I see my surgeon Thurs. for a 6 week post op and I'll ask about that. I'm curious also! I had the lami-disc L5-S1 on 3/2.
  • I don't want to call my dr., because I've called so many times during my first surgery.

I am trying to get 2nd and 3rd opinion about my current state, but getting my medical records is nearly impossible. I've asked for it almost three weeks ago. I called yesterday and the lady who is in charge of records will be out until next Tue.

Can you believe that? I've been in that department and there are more than one person working in there. go figure.
  • I had my first surgery 3/4. hope you get a great check-up!!!!
  • I say the following with love and respect. You need to get a hobby and stop reading and internalizing everything you read on this board. You are 8 days out of surgery, right? I just don't understand what it is you are expecting at this point. You are hanging on all the unfortunate outcomes of others and imaging what may happen to you at some point in the future -- things that may or may not happen but that are totally out of your control.

Did you know that the majority of surgeons will not consider a surgery "failed" until 12 months have passed? Nerve injury can take even longer to resolve. Of course there are exceptions when something happens, but you have no reason to believe that is the case with you. I really feel all your worrying is keeping you from whatever healing might be possible.

There is a point where you can be too attentive to every little niggling ache and sensation. I really cannot imagine how you would cope with a fusion where the recovery is long and involves setbacks...two steps forward and one step back. ..with the outcome just as uncertain as what you are now going through.

I went back and read through your posts and other than not being symptom-free, you don't really say you are in lots of pain or that something is jumping out to you as being terribly wrong. Did I miss something?

Please understand that regardless of what procedure you have now or in the future, you will never again feel precisely like you did prior to the advent of injury or back/sciatic pain. Your back has been altered. Please try to relax and just accept that your body may take awhile to heal -- longer than you think it should take. Be kind to yourself. Follow all the instructions you have been given, and try to have faith that eventually you will get to the other side.

I write this with love. I hate to see you so stressed out over things that are beyond your control. It is not creating a positive environment for healing.

Take good care ~
    xx Gwennie
  • Gwennie said so much that I agree with and I just wanted you to know that as one who has been through too many surgeries that you will experience so many different pains or cramps or changes that you have never ever felt before. There is no doctor who will be able to tell you at this time what is happening. Their best guess will be that things are healing and to expect anything.
    This surgery takes a long time to heal so patience is something you are going to need a lot of at this point to give it time to heal. Just follow the rules and your body will heal when it feels like it and on a pace only it knows. (lol)
    With a big hug,
  • The pain is worst at night when i lay on my bed, thinking of anything and everything. I find that if I shift my focus on other things, that I can do, like reading something non-medical, or playing a board game with the kids, or enjoy a movie, I can't really 'hear' my pain. I may feel occassional numbness, burning, tingling etc in between but when I focus on what I am doing, I 'ignore' them. As long as you don't have these signs that calls for an emergency: fever, extremem pain, lumps popping out your back, you need to give your body time to heal. Yes, healing does incurred pain and itch, and healing means a mind set that you believe you will get well. I know a 2nd lam got you scared. There is always the question of what if? But do take a deep breath, and keep telling yourself, you will get well.

Good idea to get a helper for the house. However, my advise is not to start anything now. You don't want to accumulate dust and debris all over, especially your wounds are not totally heal yet. Best of luck, teach.
  • guess I started to get concerned because my doctor said after my surgery I would be pain-free. When I started to feel the old pain (a reherniation) happened, I was quite alarmed. I though what happened about the preOp conversation about no more pain after MicroD and I could return to work in two weeks.

Getting a hobby---well I do have a lot of hobbies but I will need to brainstorm new hobbies that don't require a lot movement. I was always on the move. Hard for me to stay still, until now. Don't have a choice.

I do sound extremely worried and pessimistic because I went through the first surgery thinking it would be successful. It has 90-95% success rate. And I am the unlucky one that fell in the other category.

What my doctor told after my 2nd surgery left me disappointed and not hopeful. He made it sound like I would eventually need fusion. According to him, my disc is very degenerated. And I want a different opinion on that.

I am in agreement that mind and body are connected, and having a negative energy will hurt the healing process. Too bad I can't do yoga yet, but I listen to yoga music and I go through the sun salutation in my mind, especially at night to help me fall asleep.

Adamapple-about cleaning. I have a wonderful lady that comes twice a month to clean. I am embarrassed how messy my house is when she comes.

Update: Today was another good day. No leg pain!!!! I do have some lower back pain because I walked a little too much and wore the wrong shoes. I wore Dansko, suppose to be great shoes for being on your feet,

I am checking out MBT shoes. Does anyone know anything about them?