Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Contemplating Laminectomy?

darbymai59ddarbymai59 Posts: 55
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My operation was March 5th for the L4/5 level only. I only stayed one night in the hospital because they said I could go home if I wanted, so I did. I knew my daughter would be there and take care of me. I don't really remember much about my hospital stay other than the short time I was there I got 5 shots of Demerol for pain and was released with Hydrocodone 5/325 - 2 every 4 hours. I think I was in surgery for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. My pain was enough that I took the pain meds as directed for the first 3 weeks. I am now trying to cut the doseage in half. I can still feel pain when I sit too long. I have a desk job and have just returned back to work for 4 hours a day after being off for 3 weeks and 2 days. I have worked for this company for 35 years so I can get up and walk around whenever needed. Right now I don't think I could handle 8 hours a day but next week I'm going to try it.

If you are thinking about having this surgery don't worry too much about it, it will be over before you even realize it. When I was in the surgery holding area I told them to just hurry up and knock me out (I was a nervous wreck). They took me to surgery right after I said that and knocked me out. I'm glad its all over but the healing inside. The outside is healed.

• Darby,

Keep up the spirit! Looks like you are really on the road to recovery. You are not even a months past your surgery, so you still need a lot of patience for the months to come. If you are able to, walk, walk, walk! That is the best therapy.

best wishes,

• So glad to hear all went well and Thank You so much for the post as I searched for this exact information all over this site and could not find it a couple of weeks ago. Can you possibly update how things are going now and what the recovery process has been like? Thanks again for the post and the PMs you sent to me. All the best as you continue to recover.
    Nana Shan