Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Having ACDF 1 level, can I travel 5 weeks post-op?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am having ACDF one level C5-C6 surgery on May 1st. Will I be able to go on a short leisure vacation five weeks post-op?

• It depends on a lot of factors. Level of pain, etc before the procedure, and level of pain after the procedure. Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer, but it really is different for each person and your circumstanced going into the operation. It also will depend on your particular surgeon's rules for you post op. My surgeon said no further than 30 minutes distance first month; then 1 hour the second month. Good luck.

• Welcome to spine -health. I would ask your surgeon this question. As the previous person stated it depends on individual circumstances. How far you will be traveling by car or plane or some other means of transportation? Most surgeons like to see patients return back to their environment as soon as it is safe. Do you have another appointment with the surgeon? Good luck on your May 1st surgery and welcome to spine-health.
  • Just so you know it can be done. I flew to Florida 3 weeks after surgery and it wasn't bad. It was only a 3 hour flight took my pain meds and napped most of the way.

I am not sure I could of handled anything much longer than that and definitely not a long car ride. So I think it depends how far your going and how your going to get there. But everyone is different....
  • I had cervical fusion about 10 days ago and have a follow-up visit with my Dr. on Fri. morning. Your question was one that I was going to ask for myself. We have mad "tenative" plans the first week of May which would put me at about 6 weeks. I would tell you that there is no way I would feel like traveling here in the next week or 2, but I have been steadily improving. I do know that at the time we are planning on traveling I will still be in my miami j collar...that may have some determining factor for you depending on what your surgeon has you doing post-op. I'll let you know what my surgeon tells me in the morning and will post again. Best wishes on your surgery. Olivia
  • Just wanted to let you know that my surgeon does not see a problem with me traveling...he did advise against traveling for long periods. We will have about a 2 hour flight and he thought that I should be fine. He did tell that just because I'm going on vacation doesn't mean I get a vacation from my cervical collar..funny guy! Anyhow, hope this helps and I hope you'll be able to go on your trip...having something to look forward to helps with the recovery, good luck! Olivia