Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My 1st back surgery is in a week, I need all the advice I can get!!!

mky_frkmmky_frk Posts: 51
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am going to have at least L4/L5 and L5/S1 fused and possibly L3/L4. I am 31 and have been having back pain off and on for the last 5 years! It has been getting worse lately and I haven't been able to work since January! The doctor said I have DDD; arthritis; 3 bulging discs; 2 discs with tears; and a compressed nerve.

I need all the advice I can get as far as what to expect, etc. I was told I would be off work for another 6 weeks and then I would have to wear a back brace for 3 months. Does this sound familiar?

I think I was more nervous about having the discogram then the surgery, just because I get to be out for the surgery, but the closer it is getting the more freaked out I am getting.

Sorry it is so long!!! My surgery is 4/9, so please bring on the advice!!!
2 more bulging discs; spinal stenosis; osteoarthritis; reverse lordosis at L3; degenerative disc disease; inflammatory joint disease; nerve root cysts at T1-T3; 2 level PLIF 4/9/09 and 3 level PLIF 9/6/12 with hardware both times

• your young enough to build your core muscles and use inversion therapy. i,m sorry to say multi level fusions fail often and you my be hurt worse then you are now. my first was a 3 level from s1 to l-3 11 more surgerys im ready to give up when i did my discs it was not known that discs regenerate like a old sponge when exposed to water. if you can dedicate to yourself 20 minutes a day with a inversion table your life will start to get better. make sure your bowl and urinary system are not affected this is cause for imediate medical care but stay away from the knife as long as you can they do more damage than help.tou dont have to hang upsidedown its comfy and feels good right away .. please think it over you still have a chance to get your discs back to health look at google search for the book a knife in the back. then teel me you want surgery
  • Well I can offer some advice. I had L4/L5 L5/S1 in October 07. I had that surgery after an ACDF C6/7 in April. The back surgery was rough to be honest. To let you know, prior to the surgery, I was a 33 year old Police Officer and SWAT Team member for 7 years. I was extremely fit, which actually helped me in the longrun for recovery. The pain in the hospital was pretty intense on some days. I was in the hospital for 9 days. After I got out they sent me home with a walker which I refused to use after day two being home. I had a home health nurse which was awesome. I have two small kids which my wife needed help with. That was the hardest part, was not being able to do much with the kids. After the doctor went in, he found a lot more damage then the MRI showed so be prepared for that in case.

My best advice for you, is to relax in the hospital and when you get home. I way overdid it when I got out and have paid the price ever since. Your time will come.

The pain in the hospital is helped by a morphine drip, which I stopped using after the second surgery becasue I hated the way it maade me feel.

Good luck and email if you have any further questions.