Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Horrific Shoulder, back and Neck Pain

smpdsniperssmpdsniper Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Post surgical changes are present with anterior
plate and screws at C7-T1, and interbody fusions at C6-7 and
C7-T1, better appreciated on plain films from 3/3/09. The
cervical vertebral body alignment appears anatomic. There is
mild reversal of the normal cervical lordosis in the upper
cervical spine of C3-4 which may be related to patient
positioning versus muscle spasm. The cranial cervical junction
and cervical spine cord are within normal limits.
Individual cervical levels are interrogated as follows:
C2-3: No central stenosis or foraminal narrowing.
C3-4: Endplate osseous ridging and posterior anular disc bulging
cause minimal central stenosis unchanged. Moderate right greater
than left foraminal narrowing not significantly changed.
C4-5: Posterior anular disc bulging and endplate osseous ridging
and uncinate hypertrophy, cause moderate right and mild left
foraminal narrowing unchanged. Minimal central stenosis
C5-6: Small disc bulging with osteophyte ridging without central
stenosis. Moderate right and mild left foraminal narrowing is
not significantly changed.
C6-7: Anterior fusion at this level. No central stenosis or
foraminal narrowing.
C7-T1: Anterior fusion at this level. No central stenosis or
foraminal narrowing.
T1-2: No central stenosis or foraminal narrowing.
Paravertebral soft tissues are unremarkable.
THORACIC SPINE: Thoracic vertebral body alignment is anatomic.
Marrow signal is within normal limits. No compression fractures
are seen. Schmorl's node affects the inferior endplates of T11,
T12 and superior endplate of L1. The thoracic cord demonstrates
normal caliber and signal intensity. Central disc protrusion at
T7-8 causes effacement of the ventral thecal sac and mild central
stenosis. Central/left paracentral disc protrusion at T8-9
effaces the ventral thecal sac essentially to the left and causes
mild to moderate central stenosis and may contact the ventral
thoracic cord at this level. Small anular disc bulge at T9-10
causes minimal central stenosis.
No foraminal narrowing is identified at any thoracic level.
1. Stable appearance of the cervical spine as detailed above
with anterior fusion at C6-T1. Minimal central stenosis as
detailed above. Multi level neural foraminal narrowing as
detailed above.
2. Disc protrusions at T7-T8 cause mild central stenosis and at
T8=9 cause mild to moderate central stenosis at T8-9. Minimal
anular disc bulging at T9-10 causes minimal central stenosis. No
thoracic foraminal narrowing identified.

That is my most recent MRI. I have had ACDF C6-7 ACDF C7-T1 and anterior posterior fusion of L4-S1.

I am in more pain now then I have been in the past. My right side of my neck is screaming burning pain that travels down my right side and arm.

When I go #1 or #2, it hurts so bad when I push. The pain goes right up the middle part of my back. The stabbing pain in my back feels like a smoldering hot butcher knife being slowly turned into my back. These pains are constant. Trust me, as you readers no pain, aftr all my surgeries I know pain. Pain meds really do nothing. It seems to get work obviously after using my arms too much. If I step off the stairs the wrong way, ouch.

My doctor ordered some more epidurals which I am waiting to get. If those do not work he said surgery for T-8-T9 and T9-T10 and ACDF C5-6.

I was just hoping somebody might read this and know whats going on or offer any advice on what to do. My wife wants total disc replacement. I have heard I have to qualify for it. Did I mention I am a 34 year old recently retired Police Officer who is now a private investigator. Please let me know if there are any suggestion or similiar cases and success stories.

• but i understand the pain you describe - i have not had any surgeries - but have been living with this pain for 2 years - the CONSTANT is what gets to me. i am not a stranger to discomfort or pain - but the kind that comes and goes - doesn't bother me - it is the constant - got a knife in the back.

I describe it as a pole shoved thru me and from time to time, someone pulls it up - just for fun.

My neck, in my opinion, has really gotten worse - i have been awoken lately to my ring finger, pinkie and thumb so numb and swollen - it feels like they are 3 times their normal size - My doc is confinced that this is all muscle and has me in my 4th round of pt - but i tell you what as the year closes and my season for work closes I am pushing for something more - i really can't take this much more.

patti - sorry i hijacked your thread - welcome and as you can see there are many of us who have similar pains and frustrations - hang in there and keep us posted.