Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello all, need a little help =)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:29 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi I'm Chris and I'm from Norway. Please bear with me, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm 21 years old and I have had some back pain for a while, overall it's making my life quite grim and less enjoyable, and the worst part of all is that I can't seem to get my doctor to do anything about it.

Ever since I was a kid I was told that I had a minor scoliosis and that I might get some back pain when I grew up.

At the age of 14 I was playing soccer when I shot pretty hard with my left foot and I heard a crack in my back and and had a tremendous paralyzing pain. It felt as if a bone had broken or something, and the pain was in around my left shoulder blade That's when it all started.

Shortly after it started getting better until a point where I just have had manageable but sharp pain and irritation in the area, slowly it spread to the other side. The doctor just gave me some anti inflammatory drugs that did absolutely nothing.

Now many years after I have a very stiff and uncomfortable neck and a tight lower back, last year the chiropractor I went to told me that I probably had irritated nerves in the lower back and that I just need to keep a good posture and it would go away. I do my best at having a straight posture but it's not helping, my upper back is just a little bit arched because of the minor scoliosis. I was called into the army and I had to attend for 6 months when I just couldn't do it anymore because of the pain.

I have really tight muscles around the body, specially my hamstrings, rear, quadriceps, back and my forearms. My forearms are really tight, it feels like I have a pinched nerve that goes from my neck, down my shoulder, biceps, down my forearms and down to the palms of my hands. I also think that I have irritated nerves that go down my legs.

The main problem is that my neck is really tense all the time, when I sit in class or on my computer or anywhere at all it's really uncomfortable. My shoulder blade area pain is sharp but it's manageable as it always gets better, the trapezium pain is really annoying, as soon as I have a bag on my back they get irritated and my shoulders have to drop and my neck gets even more tense. The lower back is just tight, it doesn't hurt much, and it just feels tense when it hurts.

Personally I think it's one or more nerve pinches, and I don't understand why my doctor doesn't think that I need an MRI. I've been in pain for many years and I'm way too young to be so physically burdened. It's almost as he doesn't take my problem seriously, as if it's just some minor pain.

Every single day I believe that most of the pain can go away, but I'm not a doctor so I don't know what to do. What do you think I should do? Do you think I can reach a full recovery or at least a pretty good one?

advertisement

Comments

• Hi Chris,

Welcome to spine-health. It is so hard to see young people as yourself with these issues. There are quit a few young folks here and can really relate to how your being treated. You are going to have to be your best advocate. If your not getting the help you need from your doctor look for another one. Do you have any family? Maybe if you keep journals about the pain and when it comes on your doctor will see how serious you are. I think you first need to get a diagnosis as to what is causing your pain. Typically pain in the arms is related to the neck and pain in the legs is related to the low back. However, I am no doctor so I can't begin to help you with any diagnosis. Your pain does sound like radicular type pain meaning it is radiating from some place else in your body. What types of things are you doing now to control the pain? When you go to the Doctor do you read everything down as to your symptoms and questions? I have found this to be very useful to stay on track at the doctor.

Anyway look around and use the search function at the top of the page. That will lead you to some very good articles written by docs. I look forward to reading more of your post in the future and welcome to spine-health.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. perhaps it is time to see a doctor who will take your pain more seriously. :? there are so many treatments available to day, that alot of pain can be helped. =D> good luck as you search for pain relief! :D Jenny :)
  • lulusheart said:
    hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. perhaps it is time to see a doctor who will take your pain more seriously. :? there are so many treatments available to day, that alot of pain can be helped. =D> good luck as you search for pain relief! :D Jenny :)
    All those smileys are making me feel better already =)

I ordered an appointment at my doctor, I'll be seeing him on Monday. My doctor is on vacation so I'm pretty sure I can make this one order and MRI of my back.

I work out 3 times a week, moderate weights, good forms and careful with the movements that trigger pain. It helps me to keep my body strong. Then I go back down to the gym and stretch out for flexibility. This helps me keep the pain more manageable and the muscles away from atrophying and myself from feeling down.

Every day is different though, some days are painful some aren't that painful. The pain is pretty much constant but there's seem to be a variety to it. The pain triggers basically from everything I do, I rarely feel completely pain free.

I've been at 2 different physiotherapists and I didn't get any benefits except for maybe relief for 1 hour, and a chiropractor which gives me relief for a couple of days.

Sorry for the late response, but right now I seem to be lost in my own mind. being in love seems to ease the pain 8>
  • Ah, so you are in love!! :X well you did not mention that! LOL! we have that in common.. 28 years and i am still in love!! =D> anyway, i am glad to hear you are seeing a doctor and soon!! you need to get that MRI and get yourself taken care of!! :? being active, but not overdoing it, can do alot in keeping pain at bay!! i do some light weight training several times a week.. have a wonderful weekend!! :D here is to love! >:D< Jenny :)
  • Hi and welcome to Spine-Health forums.
    I can relate to you Chris since I am 17 years old and I have been dealing with lower back and leg pain for over a year. You are not alone and most importantly do not lose hope, I know its tough to be so young and dealing with this, to be in pain all the time and unable to do what we young guys usually do, it sucks!. I think you should get a second and maybe even a third opinion to see what exactly is wrong with your back/neck. Ask your doctor if PT (Physical Therapy)can help you, it sometimes work and sometimes it does not, ask your doc if he thinks it will. And remember, you are not alone and you will get through this. I really hope you get the MRI, it really helps the doc figure out what is wrong. Keep us posted.

(Sorry for any spelling errors)
  • Hi again all, thanks for the responses.

I was at my doctor yesterday, he was in an extremely bad mood because he was the only one working and he had a lot of patients to take care of. Regardless I confronted him.

He's the doctor so I took his advice, which was a complete EMG and Neurography to chart what my nerves are transmitting. I don't know how well this works getting results, anyone have any specific experience with this?
    Dan said:
    I know its tough to be so young and dealing with this, to be in pain all the time and unable to do what we young guys usually do, it sucks!.
    Yeah absolutely, it takes away confidence and maybe even some of the appreciation for life. But in the end you can still access what really matters in life in terms of happiness. I went to Physical Therapy for about 15 sessions, and the result was very short term and way too expensive. In the end I figured that it wasn't being worth it.

I'll be sure to keep you posted.
    lulusheart said:
    Ah, so you are in love!! :X well you did not mention that! LOL! we have that in common.. 28 years and i am still in love!! =D>
    Yeah, I really, really hope that she likes me back. I just want to be with her, give her a big hug and make her happy =) I've got to tell her, although if she turns me down I will be in deep pain, something tells me that won't show up on the doctors MRI D=
advertisement