Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here but not new to the pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in New Member Introductions
Thought i would register and make a post. Seeing as how the stuff ive read so far has both helped a lot and given me a little insight on whats happining to me. short story is, about 5 years ago i was twisting around to close a door and my life was changed forever! i heard a slight pop and experienced severe pain right away. i thought at first that maybe i just pulled a muscle or something and that it would go away, but to my dismay 2 hours later i was still in a world of pain. the doctor said i had sacriolitis(still not sure on that one) and i was sent home for a few days. then my regular doctor sent me to PT. durring PT i told the therapist that it hurt... ALOT!!!!! to do the exercises he asked me to do and his responce was its supposed too. well i continued for 5 years with this wishy washy doctors excuses and gave in one day. i told the doctor that im tired of hurting, tired of the run-a-round, i told him i just wanted better. then he did something no doctor to that day had done. he sent me for my first x-RAY. after he got the results back he sent me strait to a nuro surg. that was about a year and a half ago, now im on my fourth surgin and second set of MRI's. turns out i have spondylolisthesis. I went in to review with my surgin and he said that what i have is kinda rare... (not sure on this so dont kill me if im wrong) he said that where my L5 would normally connect to my S1 i didnt have the pars that was supposed to connect them. not that they where fractured like i was previously told. He also told me that normally for this he wouldnt recommend surgery for someone as young as me (29) but because its not fractured and there is nothing to repair by itself that i needed surgery.

this all happined Monday the 30 of march and i am scheduled for my fusion on the 13 of April. i was so relieved that i could be fixed and that the pain would go away i didnt think twice about it. Now i think about it im still happy im going to get better, im just getting the jitters. i have been in the military for over 7 years and was starting to look like i would have to leave the military because my back pain had got in the way of work. now theres a new light at the end of the tunnel and i cant wait!! i still plan on being really conservative with what i do after the surgery but my goal is the same as when i joined..... retire from active duty service after 20 proud years served, and own a harley or two!! hehe.. this light at the end of the tunnel is a chance for a new start for me. ill be able to do some of the little things again. plus my wife is going to be able to count on me a little more to do odd jobs around the house again. now i know there are risks involved with any operation. i also know it can be a slow, long proccess. but dag nabit im tired, tired of not being able to take the trash out, not being able to get out of bed some days, heck.... im just plain tired...
I would like to say thank you to alot of you i know i dont know you but your stories of success, and little things thats happened durring your recovery has helped me a lot. the list of things you will need..... holy cow i never thought of some of those things, i thought i was going to get the surgery and go home and be in a little bit of pain but ill be alright. never would have thought of cleaning my self being hard... it made me think alot harder about whats about to happen to me

So with ALL that being said... Thanks for the help and ill keep ya posted on my progress.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Welcome. I'm glad that you're finally getting help for your back pain. Five years is a long time to wait around for someone to do something. I'm sure you'll do great with the surgery and be back to taking out the trash soon...bet your wife wants that in writing!? 8} I'm sure those here with similar problems will be glad to answer any questions you may have and share their experiences with you. Good luck.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. it is great that yuou decided to stop by and visit! :D good luck with your procedure! =D> i know your recovery will be a healthy one.. be sure and check out the "Back and Neck surgery" forum for more input. keep us informed! :? Jenny :)