Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Loss of Bowel control due to L5-S1

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Exercise and Rehab
I lost Bowle control 10 months ago because of bone fragments in nerves and im trying to figure out some treatments available. I had surgery June 13th 2008 and they removed 3 frags. Let me say I have no insurance and prefer not to go to a doctor if all possable. My brother was suggesting acupuncture. I have not done alot of exercise mostly working then laying in lazyboy with heating pad to knock out feelings of numbness and cruddy discomforts. I was also thinking of getting a treadmill. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Sorry you're having these problems. I know it's hard to make yourself exercise when you're in pain but it really does help. I've found that getting out and going for walks..even slow walks really helps. It's good for all the muscles and makes you feel better by getting some fresh air and vitamin D. If you can get outside to walk I think it's better and easier than a treadmill. To me walking on a treadmill is so boring but outside it improves my mood too. Good luck and hope you get to feeling better.
  • I just wanted to mention that my Physical Therapist told me when walking on a treadmill to never use the incline. It causes you to bend your spine to stay in an upright positon and damages the lower spine so just wanted to mention that.

I walk on my treadmill several times a week and also the one at the gym and now that it's getting nicer I walk outside also. The treadmill is boring yes. It's necessary in the Midwest with our long winters though. Also if you do get a treadmill start out very slow as in 1 MPH or less. Now I'm up to 2.5 MPH but that's it. I see others walking really fast at the gym on them but it causes me discomfort to walk fast on one so I avoid it. And one last thing whatever you do have absolutely nothing to do with lifting the treadmill into your house. That's how I got my original herniation years ago helping my husband carry the treadmill in the house. The next day was a nightmare and many more after that. Ouch!!