Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

can the doctor be right and I am wrong

baffledbbaffled Posts: 375
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:29 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My doc is convinced that all my pain is caused by muscles (extreme cases of spasms and rigidity) - And through this experience I have learned to respect what problems the muscles can produce....but my ridicular pain symptoms are getting much worse and I have a tough time putting these symptoms onto the muscles

pain in my elbows - and from shoulder to shoulder. I am awaken by my hands and arms going numb. Esp the ring, pinkie and thumb. I can feel small bumbs as you feel down my neck along the spine - and these are not muscle nots - i have plenty of those.

Could this be from muscles or from the herniation at c56 and the bone spurs. And can these things progress - last mri of neck was jan 08? If another mri was taken would it be a waste of time...don't know how quickly things can change.

Like I said the doc even said to me - 'don't let anyone convince you that your pain is from these cervial findings" I mean he is really convinced this is muscle...but the way i feel tells me different - but could this all be muscle?

baffled - yet once again!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    Then via Physical Therapy, Aqua Therapy and the right muscle relaxors, you should start to see improvements.
    Muscle problems, (strains, pulls, tightness) as we all Pinched Nerves can present themselves as disc related.
    If the MRI's indicate that there is not significant enough disc problems to warrant your pain, to me you have several options:

1- Get a second opinion
    2- Try an action plan designed to help with muscle problems
    3- Explain more to your doctor about your pain, has it changed, more severe, etc. If there is enough clinical proof, they might schedule a MRI. However, since your last one was in Jan 08, unless they can observe some major changes,
    an MRI might be hard to justify from the Insurance company.

As an option, there is always Thai Deep Tissue Massage.
    Where there are stubborn and deep muscles that normal Physical Therapy can not help, this method might be
    an alternative. But beware, true Thai Deep Tissue Massage is a painful treatment to start with. Let me say extremely
    painful. The elbows, fists, toes, heels and more can put a lot of pressure on the muscles... but it works!
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • He does have me going with a muscle plan - my 4th round of pt - and he (the doc) is speaking directly to the pt to make certain that they addressing my situation correctly (like that about him) - and I am on zanaflex - and the only improvement has been that i do not suffer muscle spasms in my flank areas anymore - but any relief from the base of my head to the middle of my ribs - not a thing - and trust me I had hoped for some real relief.

thank you for your input - and i have just begun the pt - and i plan to get all i can from this - but man oh man - i feel like i am going down hill fast - every month i jsut seem to be worse......i usually have a better perspective than this morning - but i had a really, really rough night last night - did not get much sleep - the numbness and pain kept me up alot

thanks again
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    is so frustrating to you. Many times, its hard to distinguish where the problem originates from and how it has presented itself.
    I still always believe, that you can not tell you doctor what test you want or that another MRI is needed.
    Part of that is just pure human nature. While some doctors like to believe they have a 'god-like' image, it is us, the patients, who take them down to where they are real.
    But, if you tell a doctor to do something, I am sure there a many who will do that, and I am also sure there are many who are just going to resist that for that sake of it.
    I dont feel that 'working' around the issue is that important, but knowing people skills, sometimes you have to do what is necessary to get the results you want.

This is just a simple example, but the message is there:

Case 1
    Patient - Tell a doctor I want a MRI!
    Doctor - No, I see no reason for another one

So you are no further along then you have been

Case 2
    Patient - I have been dealing with more and more pain and it just seems to be getting more intense. I understand that from all my previous tests, I should not have all this pain. But I just dont understand, is there something else we can do so that I can understand it?
    Doctor - Ok, let me see what we can do. Perhaps some more testing and maybe another MRI just to see what is going on.

So now, perhaps the additional tests will be done to prove one thing or another.

See the difference in the approaches?
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • thanks to all of you for listening and responding...and yes it can be so frustrating. I feel like my neck is just falling apart. It really hurts so bad to move it at all - i cannot shake my head yes or no - and trying to tilt it from ear to shoulder - oh forget it. Tilting backwards is the worse. I feel 'locked up' - i move it slightly and man the shotting pain and then the lock.

The 'case studies' is very helpful. Not a matter of what you say, but how you say. I do really appreciate having an opportunity of this forum to put these questions, thoughts out there to get feed back. I, like many, have these racing thoughts and worries, and i know this gives me an outlet so i don't have to burden, always, my family and friends.

I see my doc again after a month of pt and the change of muscle med on the 17th of this month....and i will follow your second case advise and see where this leads. I agree, i don't think being 'directive' would get me anywhere, but letting him know all the symptoms and how things are progressing (or digressing) is the way to go.

thanks again, patti